advertisement

Chord Epic Twin upgrade

Chris1234

pfm Member
I currently run a Naim based system and use Chords Epic Twin speaker cable to my Spendor D7s. Although I am happy with the sound I wondered if anyone could suggest a better cable?

Yes, I guess the trick is to know when to stop upgrading. I keep promising myself I’ve reached the end solution but then another idea pops up I get the upgrade itch again!

strangely i use chord epic biwired on my tannoys and tried it on my impulse taus and it did not suit . VD 6mm was better . so more money does not always give you better sound . Strangely i am just waiting for a chord interconnect to arrive from amazon as i am quite a fan of them

I upgraded from NAC A5 (used for 8 years) to Chord Epic Twin (owned 2 years) and finally to Chord Signature XL (current, about 2 years). All used on Naim 282/250DR currently on Luxman

Difference between NAC A5 and Chord Epic Twin although noticeable is not night and day. They sound rather similar. The Signature XL sounds noticeably different, better and more accurate than the other two. More defined bass with better clarity and detail across the frequency spectrum. The Signature XL made the Epic Twin (and NAC A5) sound murky and smeared.

I suggest exploring other alternatives. The new Epic XL, Kudos speaker cable or EWA LS40 or 80.​

Yes, I guess the trick is to know when to stop upgrading. I keep promising myself I’ve reached the end solution but then another idea pops up I get the upgrade itch again!
Starting 8 threads might not be best way to keep that promise.

It depends on what you hope to achieve from a speaker cable upgrade. Any people will say it’s just a wallet lightening exercise.
I wouldn’t go that far myself, but upgrades from a very good cable to an excellent cable are unlikely to be massive.
However, you could argue that if the rest of the system would cost mega-bucks to improve upon, spending a grand or whatever on cables could give you a nice little upgrade without breaking the bank, relatively speaking.
Staying within the Chord range would be logical, so going to the signature xl makes sense. To me, the Epic has quite a dense, thick sounding upper-bass/midrange & the SigXL opens that range quite a bit.
Alternatively, maybe TelluriumQ stuff, pick your price point, or I’ve heard some good stuff from Audioquest.

I’ve never been keen on Chord speaker cables. The Kudos KS1 is very good, and is not expensive in the scheme of things. Perhaps if it were six times the price it would be more attractive as an alternative to Chord. The other thing about Chord is that they seem to change their cables more frequently than some change their pants.

It depends on what you hope to achieve from a speaker cable upgrade. Any people will say it’s just a wallet lightening exercise.
I wouldn’t go that far myself, but upgrades from a very good cable to an excellent cable are unlikely to be massive.
However, you could argue that if the rest of the system would cost mega-bucks to improve upon, spending a grand or whatever on cables could give you a nice little upgrade without breaking the bank, relatively speaking.
Staying within the Chord range would be logical, so going to the signature xl makes sense. To me, the Epic has quite a dense, thick sounding upper-bass/midrange & the SigXL opens that range quite a bit.
Alternatively, maybe TelluriumQ stuff, pick your price point, or I’ve heard some good stuff from Audioquest.
Thanks for the guide

I’ve never been keen on Chord speaker cables. The Kudos KS1 is very good, and is not expensive in the scheme of things. Perhaps if it were six times the price it would be more attractive as an alternative to Chord. The other thing about Chord is that they seem to change their cables more frequently than some change their pants.
Thanks for the feedback

I can definitely recommend Townshend Audio Isolda speaker cable. Been using it for around 10-years now and have no plans to change.

advertisement

Back