advertisement

chord 1,000,000 taps

Yes. A brick wall filter is theoretically optimal.

OK if you define 'brick wall' as 100% passband, 0% stopband, zero-width transition, and zero phase distortion. I.e. sin(x)/x. Any other filter with less suppression leaves some of the images in the output signal, and with more suppression leaves some of the music out.

It is also not technically difficult to implement, and early CD players did employ them to comply with what we understand mathematically about sampling theory.

Actually it is impossible to implement in the analogue domain. Early Japanese CD players used a high-order analogue filter with cut-off at Fs/2, deviating substantially from what the Sampling Theorem ordered. Philips with their x4 oversampling had a fair stab at it, though.

OK if you define 'brick wall' as 100% passband, 0% stopband, zero-width transition, and zero phase distortion. I.e. sin(x)/x. Any other filter with less suppression leaves some of the images in the output signal, and with more suppression leaves some of the music out.

Actually it is impossible to implement in the analogue domain. Early Japanese CD players used a high-order analogue filter with cut-off at Fs/2, deviating substantially from what the Sampling Theorem ordered. Philips with their x4 oversampling had a fair stab at it, though.

Right, I've read that those early Marantz players used 3rd order filters using the 1540 with it's 4x oversampling, and the reduction in passband distortion compared to much higher order analog filters was substantial, and lead to the appreciation of the benefits of simpler analog circuits, and higher oversampling, as work in the digital domain is superior and essentially free. This of course led to bitstream as the ultimate reduction in output circuit complexity with all the clever stuff moved to the digital side.

Baseband filtering needed very high order filters, which in turn had poor group delay and had both horrible manufacturing adjustment cost and long term component stability problems.
Upsampling x4 eliminated all of these analogue issues, except that the actual DAC chips were probably not quite as linear at the higher clock

advertisement

Back