advertisement

Chopin - Decent CD Recording Recommendations?

jonclancy

pfm Member
Hi All,

Having watch a piece on the telly last night about Diane Abbott MP learning to play Chopin's Prelude No. 4 in E minor for piano from scratch in 6 months, we'd like to get a CD or two of the man's work.

Having bought various classical CDs over the past few years, I know there is a marked difference in performance and recording quality out there. We'd be very grateful for any steers in the right direction for quality CD or hybrid Chopin discs out there.

VMT in advance

Jon

Idil Biret has recorded Chopin's complete works on Naxos, and the performances - and recording quality - are great. Highly recommended at £5 ea.

edit: link

One of my all-time favourite piano LP's is Artur Rubenstein's recording of the Nocturnes ('volume 2' picked up for £1 in a charity shop yonks ago) on the RCA Victor label.

Okay, it's recorded in 1968 and sounds a bit dated but the performances are simply sublime and I havn't heard any performance of Chopin that moves me nearly as much; he just gets so profoundly into the soul of the music, in my opinion.

I haven't done a search for a CD transfer, but I'm sure it must be available.

Hope this helps, Harry.

One of my all-time favourite piano LP's is Artur Rubenstein's recording of the Nocturnes ('volume 2' picked up for £1 in a charity shop yonks ago) on the RCA Victor label.
Okay, it's recorded in 1968 and sounds a bit dated but the performances are simply sublime and I havn't heard any performance of Chopin that moves me nearly as much; he just gets so profoundly into the soul of the music, in my opinion.

I haven't done a search for a CD transfer, but I'm sure it must be available.

Hope this helps, Harry.
Another vote for these wonderful recordings, and yes they are a must-have. Unfortunately the first CD tranfer made in '88 or somesuch sounds very metallic, I don't know whether there are any better versions available at present. My vinyl pressing sounds warm and beautiful.

For 'recent' (70s-onwards) Chopin recordings, Krystian Zimerman and Maurizio Pollini have never disappointed me. I am personally not very fond of Martha Argerich but she is nevertheless famous for her Chopin.

:D

Thanks very much for these suggestions - very much appreciated!!! It's off to Amazon for a trawl now! :cool:

All the best

Jon

Ballades - Murray Perahia

My other half played the third and forth as her graduation pieces and practiced them at home for months before her finals. I never got tired of them.

Perahia is a subtle, unflamboyant player. Some people find him a bit passionless, but these are great performances to live with as they last when more extrovert playing becomes tiresome. Superb recordings too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Another vote for Rubenstein. The scherzos are my particular favourites. Mind you, can't speak for the sq of the CD though.

Cheers,

Nic.

I have a 12 LP box set on RCA of Rubenstein playing most of Chopin's music, except the Preludes. I enjoy his Chopin, partly, I think, because of the tension he generates between the emotion in the music and a style which tends towards being aloof. I'm sure that the CD masterings are fine.

On CD, I would also look out for recordings by Arrau and Barenboim. Arrau's early 60's live recordings of the Preludes is one of the greatest piano recordings ever made, IMHO. Barenboim's playing of the Nocturnes is also sublime.

On CD, I would also look out for recordings by Arrau and Barenboim. Arrau's early 60's live recordings of the Preludes is one of the greatest piano recordings ever made, IMHO. Barenboim's playing of the Nocturnes is also sublime.

Seconded recommendation for Barenboim's Nocturnes.

Angela Hewitt on hyperion, Chopin's Nocturnes.

Truly wonderful muscianship, though the pedal work can be invasive at times.

advertisement

Back