Ghost Town - The Specials

Edit: I mainly listen to horrible noise, so my actual favourites be more like:

Roky Erickson - I walked with a Zombie

Dead Kennedys - Kill The Poor

The Damned - Ignite

Eric B. & Rakim ‘Follow The Leader’

Killing Joke ‘Follow The Leaders’

African Head Charge ‘Gospel Train’

We had our Night at the Museum last night.

It was very well organised, they had a list you could sign to let you play your records, everyone seemed to be on the ball with this as there were no gaps in the evening once the music started. We were allowed 2 each so we put all our names down so had a full quota of 8 songs to play. I changed my mind about my selections and went just for songs from my small but beautifully formed singles collection.

First the downsides

There was a slight delay starting as they had technical difficulties with the desks (soon resolved).
The bar ran out of beer!
The acoustics in the room were dreadful. Where we had a table at the back we struggled to make out any of the songs being played (e.g. This Charming Man which I could hear the beat and Morrisey but Johnny Marr's guitar was completely absent). It sounded OK from the dancefloor though.

The upsides

The evening was great fun and everyone agreed that it should be repeated sometime.
We got to play all of our selections!

The music got off to an iffy start with some 80s pap but I got my slot in at number 6. I chose OMD - Electricity and New Order - Blue Monday. The latter filled the dance floor for the first time. (I was a bit disappointed that they faded it out towards the end though*).

After that the musical choices were variable but the stand outs from other people were Soft Cell, Pete Shelley, Julian Cope and more New Order.

The evening was nearing its end when our other slots came up...

Our friends, Gothy John and Sally chose Spirit in the Sky, something by The Sisters of Mercy (Gothy John went to Leeds Uni), She's Lost Control (12" version) and Rock the Casbah.

I went up with mrs seagull's selections to be told that the were running late, but when the saw what they were they decided to fit them both in to finish off the evening.

The Passions - I'm In Love with a German Filmstar
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

*If they'd played all of Blue Monday there would not have been time for these!

A good time was had by all and the evening is likely to be repeated.

advertisement

Back