advertisement

Chinese Valve Amp - what's this one?

stevec67

pfm Member
With apologies for copying this from Audio, nobody knows it there so I reckoned valve amp afficionados would be more likely to hang out in Classic:)

Last night I collected a valve amp for my pal, who's been looking for one ever since he heard my Yaqin MC10, an EL 34 design.

He's snagged a Separo E34 integrated, which is a very similar beast, on the surface. EL34 again, nice build, and no PCB so it's just point to point wired. It differs from my Yaqin in that it uses 6N8P (6SN7) valves in the pre stage.

I'll be plugging it in later (just to check it works, of course, you understand!) but I'm interested to know whether it's a modern take on a classic design - it would be very interesting to hear that it's a development of (say) the Mullard circuit of 1957, which was later used by Quad, Leak, Rogers or whoever.

Anyone got any experience of this one?

I very nearly bought one of these because they're similar to my AVC amps but hardwired instead which would allow me to modify much more easily. Separo will supply a circuit diagram if you want one and seem to encourage the mod squad :)

Not hooked it up yet gents, sorry. Will do so and report back. As you say with a schematic and point to point wiring it's a marriage made in heaven for the modders. It weighsa ton, BTW.:cool:

advertisement

Back