advertisement

Chinese cartridges

PerF

Scandinavian Member
Just watched a thread on another forum where they mentioned some Chinese HOMC cartridges called ExcSoni, ceramic cantilever €500-600.

Never heard of them, has anyone experienced ?

Edit, found a picture
s-l500.jpg

I have the Skyanalog p1 on a planar 8, excellent cartridge for the price, no need for shims, Boron cantilever and a nude fine line stylus with threaded inserts. The specifications match up closely with the Audio Technica 33tpg.
The Skyanalog is also Chinese made. There are some quality items coming from there, no need to overlook their products if you look carefully.

What are these 5 x 150 um styli on these chi-fi cartridges? 50% larger vertical contact area than the Ortofon Replicant 100 (5 x 100 um)?

What are these 5 x 150 um styli on these chi-fi cartridges? 50% larger vertical contact area than the Ortofon Replicant 100 (5 x 100 um)?
Things start to get a bit ridiculous when the major radii of a stylus profile exceeds 100µm, especially so, when we consider that the nominal width of a groove wall is circa 39µm. At some point (pun) the vertical contact patch of a given profile will exceed the 'land' that it should contact, not to mention that there can be gnarly gargoyles along the top edges either side.

Last edited:
Chinese carts.
Two or four wheeled ?

Four wheeled as it helps with carrying the excessive load of carcasses of the animals killed by their utterly abhorrent practices in that regard. I know we can't avoid Chinese goods a lot of the time, but where there's a choice please try as the administration presides over and even encourages a nation part of which is stuck in the dark ages as far as animal rights go.

Animal rights
Human rights
Conflict with Taiwan
The Hong Kong disaster
Dictatorship regime and murders

Still want to hear experiences with the Chinese mentioned cartridges, if possible in here before I take the plunge.

(written on a Chinese PC)

Records are so valuable, especially the ones which you remember buying as a teenager, or were given by a friend. Somebody said "even bad books are books, and therefore sacred". I feel the same way about my meagre and vernacular collection. That's why I don't scrub them with grit traps or drag over them chisels from untrusted sources. Look after your records.

Thankfully hi fi is one area where it is very easy to boycott Chinese goods.
Kensalriser, this isn’t aimed at you, just a observation…
It’s just as easy to avoid Chinese white goods or iPhones, clothes and TVs etc as it is to avoid a Chinese audio product, plenty of people pontificate over how awful it is to use Chinese DACs or other audio products and are happy to point out their moral stance on human rights, minority persecution whilst having a iPhone to hand, if not posting from one with a straight face….:(
It’s all well and good going on forums and letting everyone who’ll listen know our high moralistic stance but when you don’t pay attention to what is in front of you (phone/tv/white goods) it’s just lip service.
There are plenty of other options available……
https://notochina.org/best-cell-phones-not-made-in-china/
A quote from the list.

What about Apple?

“Sorry Apple fans, but all iPhones are made in China. You’ve heard the horror stories of Foxconn manufacturing plants where workers are locked inside under sweatshop conditions (some even driven to suicide). But Chinese citizens still stand on line to get those jobs and American citizens still stand on line to get those phones, so Apple executives and their shareholders are happy.

But let’s put the human considerations aside. Even though Apple has a reputation for excellent craftsmanship, let’s think about something. Apple phones are well engineered, but not well manufactured. How can I say this? Here’s a list of Apple products I’ve owned, and things to go wrong with them.

* MacBook Pro 13 2018 – Battery swelled up and Keyboard keys repeat. Apple said they would fix the keyboard for free–but only after I paid $200 to fix the battery. Thanks “Geniuses”.
* Apple iPhone X – Lightning port stopped working completely after warranty expired
* Apple iPhone 6 – Became unusable after it constantly crashed, despite purportedly being supported.
* Apple iPhone 4S – The last iPhone I ever owned that was perfect from beginning to end. Also happens to be the last iPhone where Steve Jobs saw through production from beginning to end. Coincidence?

Apple’s recent success is largely due to the legacy that Steve Jobs left behind, but sadly, Apple is showing cracks in the armor. I have had nothing but negative experiences with Apple Store “Geniuses”, who increasingly are smug in their polo shirts but devoid of any real technical knowledge. They’re not trained to fix problems, they’re trained to use every defect as an excuse to sell AppleCare. “Hey! You know your Apple product is going to break, so why not pay us an extra $200 now so that you don’t have to pay us $600 later? Unless we say the problem is your fault, which we will most of the time”.

Sadly, Apple is doing its best to lose me after being a customer of their for 40 years. And their continued reliance on China manufacturing may be just the thing to get me to switch. Love or hate the last presidential administration, but they did the right thing in establishing harsher tariffs on China–reportedly Google and Apple have started to look more towards India and Vietnam to diversify its manufacturing base. Let’s hope the current administration holds the line so that this positive trend can continue.”

Animal rights
Human rights
Conflict with Taiwan
The Hong Kong disaster

Still want to hear experiences with the Chinese mentioned cartridges, if possible in here before I take the plunge.

Funny how a hifi topic can turn political, so a brief description of my Chinese made cartridge.
First off, I had the Ania on the Planar 8, which in itself is not a bad cartridge however the Skyanalog has better separation and has less surface noise, it tracks remarkably well, it is more detailed than the Ania again in itself is no slouch in that department but the Skyanalog is so much better all round from a company that I believe make oem cartridges for other brands that many others use, I would hope that most goods we buy are made by workers who's conditions are favourable to those nearer home but we've all seen and read stories from around the world that are less so, it's a let he who casts the first stone scenario. And here I go going off topic, easily done.

Animal rights
Human rights
Conflict with Taiwan
The Hong Kong disaster

Hmm, best not look too closely into the purveyors - past ( and present ) of UK or US political intervention and global policy making then. Difference is we give knighthoods to them here..

Love or hate the last presidential administration, but they did the right thing in establishing harsher tariffs on China–reportedly Google and Apple have started to look more towards India and Vietnam to diversify its manufacturing base. Let’s hope the current administration holds the line so that this positive trend can continue.”
So India and Vietnam are standard bearers of human rights? Or simply not commercial and political rivals?

So India and Vietnam are standard bearers of human rights? Or simply not commercial and political rivals?

Probably not but I think that is what is intimated, the move will be a attempt to placate their customers as India & Vietnam are probably not seen as such a hot potato so to speak.
My point was that every time a Chinese product is mentioned along comes someone with a moralistic message of how they wouldn’t buy a Chinese DAC or Amplifier but seem to happily surround themselves with products from China, many of which are just as easy to avoid.
Or to put it bluntly leave their stance at the door.

advertisement

Back