advertisement

chillout / ambient...

I picked up quite an interesting book from Fopp (RIP) a few years ago called "the ambient century - from Mahler to Trance, the evolution of sound in the electronic age". The book was written by Mark Prendergast with a foreword by Brian Eno.

Eno himself appears throughout the book, with Bowie, Fripp, Roxy Music, U2, etc.

The book's a real encyclopaedia, and so very difficult to summarise. But well worth looking out for if you're interested in Ambient.

It ends with a list of the Essential 100 recordings - possibly even more than the OP provided, and very wide ranging.

I picked up quite an interesting book from Fopp (RIP) a few years ago called "the ambient century - from Mahler to Trance, the evolution of sound in the electronic age". The book was written by Mark Prendergast with a foreword by Brian Eno.

Eno himself appears throughout the book, with Bowie, Fripp, Roxy Music, U2, etc.

The book's a real encyclopaedia, and so very difficult to summarise. But well worth looking out for if you're interested in Ambient.

It ends with a list of the Essential 100 recordings - possibly even more than the OP provided, and very wide ranging.

cool will look out for it....

...and noone's mentioned Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze, who helped to start this whole thing off nearly forty years ago - I'm deeply hurt!!!

Try KS - Irrlicht, Picture Music, Timewind and especially Mirage. The "Tangs" - Zeit, Atem, Phaedra, Ricochet and the mighty Rubycon - stuff to judge the new pretenders by, including Eno, who's an art form in his own right.

Echoes by Pink Floyd's well worth a listen as well, as it sets a template for much of what followed.

Oh, I forgot Ashra (anything from the mid/late-seventies) and all the new wave EM artists who do some incredible stuff, yet owe almost all of it to the "Berlin School" and Fripp/Eno.

Klaus Schulze is pretty ill at the mo. He's had to cancel a couple of shows and possibly the Loreley in the summer as well. Tangerine Dream have gone all pants lately. They did pull off a stonking show in the Hammy Odeon during the early 80's. I managed to blag a ticket for £5 and was well impressed.

Oh as for the Air Liquide on Vinyl here you go:-
Air Liquide
Live in New York City 1994 - Blue Vinyl (sticker mark on cover)
The Mercury EP ltd Edition 2x10" Clear Vinyl
Liquid Air Ltd Edition 2x10" (amazing record and spooky cover)
Space Brothers 1st Edition Blue vinyl no label (plastic cover with sticker)
Abuse your Illusions pt1.1 2lp (generic cover with sticker)
Abuse your Illusions pt1.2 2lp (generic cover with sticker)
Homicidal Diary 6 track ep

Klaus Schulze is pretty ill at the mo. He's had to cancel a couple of shows and possibly the Loreley in the summer as well. Tangerine Dream have gone all pants lately. They did pull off a stonking show in the Hammy Odeon during the early 80's. I managed to blag a ticket for £5 and was well impressed.

Air Liquide
Homicidal Diary 6 track ep

if only i had something to spin those black plastic disks on...:)

Good to see Air Liquide mentioned here! One of my pet favorites!

Air Liquide
Homicidal Diary 6 track ep[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have all of those, but what about the Red and the Black, The Red, The Black, Ulludag, Is anyone home, Neue Frankurter Elektronik, Clash of Cultures, If there was no Gravity, Robot Wars Part 1, Robot Wars Part 2, Nephology, Sonic Weather Machine, Stroboplastics, Superfreaky, Lo Rider, X, Muisc is a Virus, Let your ears be the recevier, the Increased difficulty of concentration, The Best of ....

Not to mention the hundreds of solo releases by Khan, Dr Walker, Jammin Unit, G104, 4E, Madonna 303, Gizz TV, Buzz OD, Shark, Electronic Dub, Zulutronic, Ultrahigh, Acid Force, M. Flux, G.E.N, Redlight District, Monotone etc. etc.

I would say it is completely impossible to keep up with them all, especially since some of the records came out in releases numbers in the tens worldwide. But I keep trying.

Dr Walker remixed that latest release on Raster Norton by Bytestar last month.

DS

I got a couple myself today on Force Inc

Skydiver - Cloudchase
Stardate 1973 - Swoon ep

DS

I'll have to investigate that list, Mr Cat.

Try Waves by Jade Warrior, from 1975. Ambient progressive rock, and very prescient of Susumu Yokota et al.

Another Fine Day - Life Before Land
Bola - Soup
Drøn - Homeworld
Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
Gel-Sol - 1104
Global Communication - 76:14
Guardner - Paris Can't Wait
Gus Till - Electric Oceans
Ishvara - Magik Square of the Sun
JFC - Chrome De Lux
Joel Tammik - Eluline
Micro Cosmic & Daevid Allen - Sacred Geometry