advertisement

Chicken Bovril unobtainium

cctaylor

pfm Member
Disappointed to find that it is no longer possible to buy Chicken Bovril. I regularly have it at lunch time along with my sandwich.

Supermarkets say that it is no longer made Unilever say supermarkets no longer stocking it!

Saw a jar listed on eBay at £30!!!

It'll probably be a bit like cheese Marmite (yes it does exist) - sold in a very few contries where sales are good. Cheese Marmite is (or was) common enough in S Africa. All the multi-national food comanies/brands are the same, probably a consequnece as the parent companies have bought smaller companies - see also Maggi, Knorr etc.

I have to say that I have seen neither - the Bovril or the Marmite, but someone at work loves the Marmite.

Last edited:
Have you tried any of the own brand equivalents? There seems to be a few manufacturers making similar products. Might be something just as tasty out there.

I’ve got a an almost full jar of chicken bovril, but best before Mar 19. Wonder if it’s still ok?
Yes it is. It will be past its best. It is still safe to eat. This is the difference between BB dates, which are advisory, and tell you that a food is "best before" a date but if you want to eat it after that it won't hurt you (like say bread, beyond the BB date it might go stale or even a bit mouldy but if you need to you can still eat it), and "Use By" which is an instruction. Ignore an instruction at your peril.

Put the jar up on eBay? You might be surprised at what you could get. Type or will swap for a accuphase amp.

Depends how badly you want it!

Of course you could buy 4, sell the 3 for more than the 4, cos them are rare now, make a profit and have a free jar. Even a Scotsman would approve!

advertisement

Back