advertisement

chicken and egg

Margin_walker

pfm Member
I am planning an upgrade to my setup in the new year (i will be running digital audio, turntable and TV through it) and am unable to find a dealer that holds both the speakers and the amp that I am considering. How does everyone else deal with the auditioning process in this instance, the only way i can see to do it is to buy either the speakers or the amp first and then get a home demo of the other element.

I am toying with the idea of a peachtree nova amp driving KEF LS50s vs the LS50W. I am also considering keeping my current amp (Rega Brio R) and trying some Harbeth P3ESR along with a sub to help with the film audio aspect.

I had both passive and active LS50 versions here, ( there are some comparative measurements on my site) I preferred the active version, easier to place and punchier bass and really convenient for the whole family to use, Bluetooth,usb local storage etc.
Keith

Thanks, Keith. I'm not too far from you so maybe I will come in and audition both of them. My only concern about the wireless versions is the worry of them becoming obsolete. Having a separates system means one component can always be swapped out, but the LS50W are the entire system in one.

Yes that is a factor, which you have to weigh against active operation, ( optimised amps and crossover) and the sheer convenience of the active version.
Ultimately there isn’t a huge difference in terms of sound quality, but the boundary filters do help, provision for subwoofer etc.
Keith

advertisement

Back