advertisement

Cheviot set up advice

BozBoz

Hi, first post.

Wondering if anyone would care to comment on a setup I'm putting together.
Its based on and inspired by some Cheviots which I've taken the time to refurb and now sound fantastic. The only vaguely suitable power amp I have at the moment is a Quad 520f which needs a service but I can live with for now.

This will essentially be a system for spinning vinyl. I'm sold on trying some Croft gear and am torn between getting either the Micro 25 preamp which has a well regarded phono stage or getting the stand alone RIAA phono stage which is even better spec'ed (has its own power supply etc) and controlling levels with something like a Tisbury Mini Passive Pre - would that even work?
Perhaps an active pre would be more suitable in this case?

I'm leaning towards the second option as the Micro 25 is said to have a high output which may cause gain staging problems going straight into the slightly overpowered Quad. The second option would be more flexible, have a higher spec phono stage for about the same price (£500 + £129 vs £700).

My understanding is that both options have a spare output for a headphone amp.

Neither will look pretty but that's not a priority. Any guidance gratefully received.

A Quad power amp and Tannoy speakers is a classic combo, just about every UK studio monitored through them at some point, often for decades. IIRC the gain is adjustable on the 520F (knobs on the front) so you should have no issues maching it with any preamp you fancy. I don't know the sensitivity spec and impedance of that particular Quad so don't know if it is ok with a passive, but it should be fine with anything else, i.e. the Croft should be fine. I'd get it serviced as they are pretty old now.

Thanks Tony, I'll do some reading on impedance matching. From comments I've since found in response to similar queries, the overwhelming response appears to be 'get the combined preamp - phono stage'.

IIRC the gain is adjustable on the 520F (knobs on the front) so you should have no issues matching it with any preamp you fancy.

This is true, and I used a 520f with a Croft basic into some pretty efficient speakers and used these controls to useful effect. It's a very handy feature, and it was a very good combo (if a bit 'industrial' looking :D)

advertisement

Back