advertisement

Chesham and Amersham byelection

NeilR

pfm Member
A stunning win for the Lib Dems, overturning a 16,000 Tory majority.

Looks like Johnsons Blue Wall is vulnerable, affluent middle class voters at least this time turned away from the Tories. Could be a real opportunity for the Lib Dems going forward. Not sure what it means for Starmer, he seems to be lost chasing Northern Red Wall voters.

To my mind, this again indicates that a progressive alliance is the best way to beat the Tories at the next election. I hope the party leaders are not too stubborn to contemplate this (they are, unfortunately).

Wonders never cease - there’s life in the Lib Dem’s after all. Congrats to Sarah Green.

One thing’s for sure - Ed Davey will feel a bit more comfortable as party leader now.

Last edited:
The blue wall needs to collapse: one in 4 major UK companies paying no tax; 21 trillion offshore; 159% increase in homelessness; soaring violent crime; a divided nation; cash for lobbying; unlawfully awarded Covid contracts; the lowest state pension in Europe; the collapse of social care; 3,000 food banks and recruitment crisis in health and education, and that's before the greatest number of deaths in Europe. They are a disaster.

At last, another party capable of taking seats off them. The major question is how can Labour get its 54 seats back, taken off them by the Tories as voters ran toward Boris Johnson’s vision for Britain?

At last, another party capable of taking seats off them. The major question is how can Labour get its 54 seats back, taken off them by the Tories as voters ran toward Boris Johnson’s vision for Britain?

Labour have no chance of an overall majority unless they can somehow win back 50-60 Scottish seats. Can’t see that happening any time soon. And if Sturgeon’s independence dreams become reality then truly it’s curtains for them.

Don’t get too excited, hugely wealthy area protest vote against HS2 according to my mate in Amersham. He said it will turn blue again come the next election, no question. Greens got more than double the labour vote, fair play to them!

Looks like Johnsons Blue Wall is vulnerable, affluent middle class voters at least this time turned away from the Tories. Could be a real opportunity for the Lib Dems going forward. Not sure what it means for Starmer, he seems to be lost chasing Northern Red Wall voters.

To my mind, this again indicates that a progressive alliance is the best way to beat the Tories at the next election. I hope the party leaders are not too stubborn to contemplate this (they are, unfortunately).
I wouldn't put it past the LibDems to power share with the Tories again so zero trust from me on that front.

Yes this strategy trying to appease red wall voters while the Tories are far more vulnerable among people they used to represent is a big mistake. These are the people, among others, who will be looking for answers as UK business is trashed.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ts-to-eu-fall-by-2bn-in-first-quarter-of-2021

Labour have no chance of an overall majority unless they can somehow win back 50-60 Scottish seats. Can’t see that happening any time soon. And if Sturgeon’s independence dreams become reality then truly it’s curtains for them.
It’s not practically possible for Scotland to give Labour back its losses in England, with any realistic swing toward Labour across the U.K. It was curtains for Labour in Scotland a decade ago and Brexit, including their stance on it, has placed a five ton granite memorial slab over their political grave. They’re completely finished in Scotland where a very solid majority voted for a party with independence as its manifesto pledge. In more uplifting news for Labour elsewhere, we did remove seven of the thirteen Tory seats.

Don’t get too excited, hugely wealthy area protest vote against HS2 according to my mate in Amersham. He said it will turn blue again come the next election, no question. Greens got more than double the labour vote, fair play to them!
Your mate, would you say he’s a bellwether?

Can this be that the Lib Dems are now the small "c" conservative party. BJ has dragged the Tories into the loony nationalist camp, which is why they have won the Red Wall, but in the process, the morals and dislike of small business traditional conservatives must be alienating the shires.

I’m sure HS2 is a factor, but I’m hoping it is also an indicator that the south will push-back against Johnson turning the party into a vile popularist/nationalist UKIP-clone in vacuous attempts to appeal to the north/“red wall”. Fantastic result for the Libs anyway, I really hope it is the start of a push-back against far-right popularism, lies and corruption. Labour proving a total irrelevance is no surprise and I’m delighted to see the Greens get more than twice their voteshare.

Can this be that the Lib Dems are now the small "c" conservative party.

They are unquestionably to the left of Starmer’s Labour, and by quite some distance. Not as left as Corbyn’s position, but they are in a good place on the map right now. They are the progressive centre left. Tory & Labour are just two slightly different shades of a right-wing nationalist and authoritarian establishment.

advertisement

Back