advertisement

Cheltenham Jazz Festival

PigletsDad

My intelligence test came back negative.
On Friday evening I took my wife to see the Penguin Cafe in the town hall. It was great; they had lots of new material, as well as doing some of the best known older pieces. It is amazing the way the small parts interlock to build the complete piece.

Jazz Jamaica played songs from "Catch a Fire" (plus a few other Marley songs) with live horns, string section and gospel choir. Brinsley Ford took lead vocals. This was great fun; by the end everybody was singing along and dancing - not always a pretty sight at CJF!

On Sunday I heard Shiver from Leeds / Newcastle, electric guitar / bass / drums. I liked some passages, and a "song" called Bounce was fun, but probably wouldn't see them again.

Later that afternoon, I heard Christian Scott and Stretch Music. This was wonderful - the best Jazz gig have been to for some years. Not only fantastic playing, but real passion. It was the first performance of a new line-up, and I suspect that what came out was not exactly what was planned, but it was all great anyhow. They did a couple of well known tunes as well as their own material, one by Herbie Hancock and one by John Coltrane.

Finally, I heard Mulatu Astlake, from Ethiopia. He played vibes, electric piano and percussion, and had a mostly UK backing band, with piano, trumpet, sax, cello, bass, drums and more percussion. It was very good, with a rhythmic flavour a bit like latin, but some distinctive harmonies - maybe Arab intervals? Definitely need to look at his back catalogue.

advertisement

Back