advertisement

Cheltenham Jazz Festival

PigletsDad

My intelligence test came back negative.
I went to four shows, split across Saturday and Sunday.

First up was Tony Allen, the wonderful Afro-beat drummer. Great band, great songs, infectious rhythms. Would have bough a smile to the face of a statue.

Wilko Johnson was on fine form although obviously fragile, he played and sang with absolute intensity, as though every second might be his last. This was both touching and alarming; at one point a roadie came out with some juice as they were worried his blood sugar would go low.

I didn't get on so well with John Scofield and the Pablo Held trio. Some bits were great, but some parts went over my head and I just didn't find anything to relate to in them.

Medjeski, Martin and Wood were great fun, with deeply funky grooves, and just the very best keyboard sounds and textures. Jamie Cullum came on stage near the end of the set and sang a few numbers. I'm not a great fan of his singing, but this was OK. He also played piano on one song, which was good too. Overall, he didn't spoil the show for me, but wasn't the main point.

I went to this years Jazz fest just for one night. We go every year. Really enjoyed Wilko. It was so good to see him. Also saw Claire Teal, she's brilliant a real entertainer and a great voice. Surprised that the festival doesn't get more of a mention on here.

advertisement

Back