advertisement

Cheikha Rimitti RIP

No way. That's really terrible news. But what a life, what a voice and what a woman.

I'd never heard of her until Tuesday night when Late Junction played a track from her latest album in tribute. It sounds stunning.

Go here and click on Tuesday. After a minute or so of trails the song's the first thing on the programme.

The first record I heard by her was this, and it's fantastic, probably as good a place to start as anywhere.

-- Ian

Just imagine having a cool Nan like that. The best mine could do by way of entertainment was 'A Bicycle Made For Two' with her teeth out, which while riveting in its own way wouldn't stand comparison.

palp

My Nan was a lovely old thing, who didn't have a nasty bone in her body. She was also as daft as a brush, and I like to think that as the years advance, I might in some way be taking after her.

I used, as a child, to keep her on her toes by dotting her Shredded Wheat with plastic flies, writing 'Nan' in lighter fuel on the formica of the kitchen table, and setting light to it as she came in. My mother took a dim view, on the whole.
I also made a replica of her false teeth from black plasticine, which could be slipped into her bedside glass during her afternoon nap to great effect.

No discernable musical talent, though.

palp

The album came today and she adorns the cover looking not unlike Nan (only not as hairy - unless they've been at it with the airbrush). It's a wonder she didn't conk out making it because it doesn't half groove - that track from Late Junction is just as good as several more. Excellent. I hope I have as much vitality in 10 years let alone 30.

advertisement

Back