advertisement

Cheapo Miles Davis box

Tony L

Administrator
For those who didn't spring for the big and utterly wonderful Complete Columbia box here's a way of getting 20 of the albums for a paltry 35 quid: The Perfect Miles Davis Collection. No contents list on Amazon yet, but my guess is it's probably all the studio albums, I can spot most of them on the side of the box. An insane bargain if you are missing any number.

Edit: Here's the contents:

1 'Round About Midnight (1957)
2 Miles Ahead (1957)
3 1958 Miles (1958)
4 Porgy And Bess (1959)
5 Kind Of Blue (1959)
6 Sketches Of Spain (1960)
7 Someday My Prince Will Come (1961)
8 Seven Steps To Heaven (1963)
9 Miles In Berlin (1965)
10 ESP (1965)
11 Miles Smiles (1967)
12 Nefertiti (1968)
13 Filles de Kilimanjaro (1969)
14 In a Silent Way (1969)
15 Bitches Brew 2 CDs (1970)
16 A Tribute To Jack Johnson (1971)
17 On The Corner (1972)
18 We Want Miles 2 CDs (1982)
19 Star People (1983)
20 Decoy (1984)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Cooking & Relaxing are on Prestige, not Columbia, though I'm surprised they didn't put Aura in in place of the live 'Miles In Berlin', then they could have done a similarly sized 'Live Miles' box later. The Prestige stuff can be snagged here for another 35 of your finest quids.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
>utterly wonderful Complete Columbia box

Not really wonderful as all the tracks were sequenced by an anal retentive so several different takes of the same track were sequenced one after the next after the next kept me reaching for the originals rather than the box set. I do not want to compare the same tracks I want to listen to the LPs! So this is a better buy by far.

Sold mine. I prefer the LPs in the track orders released. That looks good. At about 80p a CD its better then piracy. Long may the trend continue.

>utterly wonderful Complete Columbia box

Not really wonderful as all the tracks were sequenced by an anal retentive so several different takes of the same track were sequenced one after the next after the next kept me reaching for the originals rather than the box set. I do not want to compare the same tracks I want to listen to the LPs! So this is a better buy by far.

Sold mine. I prefer the LPs in the track orders released. That looks good. At about 80p a CD its better then piracy. Long may the trend continue.

Must be talking about a different box - the one I'm on about is The Complete Columbia Album Collection, which is all the Columbia albums in their correct sleeves and with their correct track sequence. Even the CD record labels are correct to the first issue of the particular title, i.e KOB is a 'six-eye', ESP a '2-eye' etc. Any bonus tracks are tacked on the end of the albums. I'm sure the new box will be to the same format (in fact I bet it contains the exact same disks).

Tony.

There are AFAIK three actually incomplete "complete columbia collections" of Miles davis (well four if you disregard the also incomplete but in different ways "Complete" of 1990).

Anyway I may have to buy one of these newfangled CD players if this is the sort of thing that is going to pop up at that price.

advertisement

Back