advertisement

(cheapish) Speakers for a small room

M@ver1ck

pfm Member
The room is 10 feet * 13 feet: (3m*4m). I'll be running the rega dac and the rega Brio-R. Any recommendations for speakers for this room?
Bookshelf speakers will probably be a better bet than floorstanders.

Thinking of Totem Dreamcatchers....(although have never heard them in this combination).

given that a floor stander like the Rega 3 series take up about the same space as a bookshelf job plus stands, have a look around for some R3, or R3's depending on budget.

AVI Neutrons (any version) - very capable little speaker which is easy to position.

Almost any active little-box speaker will give you better results than a comparably priced amplifier + passive speakers. For the same price as the Neutrons, there are any number of bigger and better pro-audio monitors sold at pro audio margins from KRK, Adam, Focal, Genelec, Mackie, Yamaha, etc. They're one of the great unsung bargains of audio.

It's also true that a properly sited standmount will occupy the same space as a floorstander. In certain ways, there's no substitute for a big speaker (or at least lots of cone). If the budget stretched, the Adam Artist 6 would be a killer solution. The smaller Artist 5 has an inbuilt DAC.

What's your budget?

In your room and with your equipment an ideal match would be Rega RS1 on decent stands.
Obviously depends on the sound you are after but i much prefer RS1/Stands to RS3s. In a small room i found the RS3s to be problematic in the bass quantity/quality/level to treble areas. Also in a small room where you are sitting relatively near to the speakers i
find the RS3s to be too low. RS1 on 600mm stands are much better.

Agree with the Rega R1 and RS1.
The older Ela is also great in small rooms.

Good used bargains include the Linn Kan 2 & Katan.

For something that sells for peanuts but is rather good, check out the Mission/Cyrus 780.

K thanks guys. In terms of budget: i was thinking something in line with the dac and the amp, to get a fairly balanced system.

Any opinions on the Totems? (Dreamcatcher/Mite?) I like the Arros in my last audition but they're not really bookshelf types. I'm actually thinking of putting these on a book shelf. :)

The Regas come across as a little too lean to me.

The room is 10 feet * 13 feet: (3m*4m). I'll be running the rega dac and the rega Brio-R. Any recommendations for speakers for this room?
Bookshelf speakers will probably be a better bet than floorstanders.

Thinking of Totem Dreamcatchers....(although have never heard them in this combination).

I think the original Wharfedale Diamonds are brilliant. I always have a pair 'to hand'. The better the kit used the better they get. I'm constantly surprised how good they are... Martyn Miles .

I found my MF X-A1 to be more than ample. I doubt the Rega is less robust.

Another idea is the Leema Xero, especially if you found the RS1 lean. The Leema's thrash the RS1's. I had them both one after the other with a week's overlap.

The Leema is an awesome tiny. Sounds huge and the brio will easily drive it, my nait 5 had no trouble.

Perhaps Rega speakers would suit the Rega amp and dac as i always thought their amps and cd players smooth and warm. Heard some Rega speakers and i found them way to bright for me. May be they are a match made in heaven.

If you think your system is bright now then i would suggest some Aurousal A1's. These are lovely sounding speakers with a midrange to die for and a top end that has no crossover nasties as they don't have one.

advertisement

Back