advertisement

Cheap USB-only DAC? (end 2011)

MagnusG

Looking for alternatives for my Rega DAC, since I only use the usb on it (seems like a waste), would like to clean up one shelf (place the new one next to the mac) and get rid of all the red lights in the process.

Right now I got:
mac mini, rega dac, linn kairn, linn lk280, elac 330

Ideally the new dac would be max 12cm wide, powered by usb, extremely good in every way and only cost dirt.

Comments on any of theese or anything else to give some attention?
- Bladelius USB-dac
- Hegel HD2
- HRT music streamer II
- Pro-ject USB box

A friend of mine owns the HRT music streamer II. He is very pleased with it and I thought it sounded pretty good when I listened to it a few weeks ago. I wanted additional input options though so I went with a V-DAC II. Had it not been for my need for additional inputs, I would have bought the HRT.

very happy with the sound of my project usb but its only 16-bit of course which is fine for what I use it for - mostly spotify listening

The Streamer II+ is a pretty big step up from the old model and the base II. Between £150-£450, you might also consider:

Devilsound dS DAC
Halide DAC HD
John Kenny DAC
KingRex UD384

The last two are battery+USB powered, but within your size target. Anything bus-powered will only be as good as the 'power supply' (ie, computer) unless you power it with something like a Aqvox USB PSU.

advertisement

Back