advertisement

Cheap SSD for use with a Pi4 Computer

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
It came to pass that I bought some cheap 120 GB SSDs that had a good write up. They cost £16.19 delivered from Amazon so wasn't expecting much. I used them in other projects and these SSDs were noticeably faster than more expensive known brands of SATA devices that I had. So I turned my attention back to the early Pi4 and below I show some results from the Pi Diags:-

Raspberry Pi Diagnostics - version 0.5

________________________Sunbow 120GB___WD Green 120GB__MicroSDXC 128GB

Sequential write speed:_____259035 KB/sec______95533 KB/sec____ _33233 KB/sec__________(target 10000)
Random write speed:_______12880 IOPS________7536 IOPS________1541 IOPS____________(target 500)
Random read speed:_______13117 IOPS________11787 IOPS_______3950 IOPS____________(target 1500)

To make things even I cloned the MicroSDXC to the two SSDs above.

The most expensive boot device at over £30 the MicroSDXC 128GB Class 10 Ultra High Speed was the slowest by far and the unknown cheapo SSD was the fastest. This combo is now good enough to be called a computer. It works really well headless using a VNC remote client and would fit in a neat small case.

I don't know about the lifetime of this cheapo SSD but after several hours there was no noticeable heating of its case.

Cheers,

DV

PS my SUNBOW came in a plastic case and is soooo light I wondered what was inside. So as its Sunday I opened the box and inside was a small board about 44x53mm with 4 mounting holes although the card itself was floating and just held in position by lugs. Two of the mounting holes align with 2 on the Pi4 so it should be possible to mount the SSD on the Pi.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Does the type of USB-SATA adapter make any difference or are they all pretty much vanilla?

Does the type of USB-SATA adapter make any difference or are they all pretty much vanilla?
Yes. Make sure that the adapter supports USB 3 at least gen 1 (5Gbps) and USAP. A modern adapter will also support TRIM. You can get all this for around £8 or less amazing really. I also prefer one with an activity light.

Cheers,

DV

Yes. Make sure that the adapter supports USB 3 at least gen 1 (5Gbps) and USAP. A modern adapter will also support TRIM. You can get all this for around £8 or less amazing really. I also prefer one with an activity light.

Cheers,

DV

Can you recommend a good one DV?

Can you recommend a good one DV?
The latest adapters that I have bought in the last few months are a UGREEN @£7.99 (now £6.39) and a BENFEI @£6.45 both from Amazon.

But your question gave me pause for thought - is the performance the same when connected to a Pi4? So I perform a few tests:-

Write 2000MB of nulls to the SUNBOW using each cable connected to a USB3 port of the Pi4:-

UGREEN average speed 186MiB/s
BENFEI average speed 194MiB/s

Not much in it and I prefer the UGREEN for its shape and disk activity light.

These write speeds are typical for a USB 3.1 gen1 port at around 3 times faster (not 10!) than a USB2 port.

Just for fun I performed a read of the 2000MB nulls created above on the UGREEN cable and got around 489MiB/s and thats around 80% of the USB port speed and close to the adverised SSD max read speed of 560MB/s.

So next I compared my high-speed sd card a 'MicroSDXC 128GB Class 10 Ultra High Speed':-

average speed to write 2000MB - 32.8MiB/s slow huh?
average speed to read 2000MB - 503MiB/s Wow!

The cost of a SUNBOW 120GB SSD with adapter is around £20.50 whilst the SDXC card is £32.88.

Food for thought.

These results have got me thinking again about how data is cached in the Pi as that SDXC card read speed is 5 times faster than the theoretical read speed of the card at 100MB/s!

Cheers,

DV

The latest adapters that I have bought in the last few months are a UGREEN @£7.99 (now £6.39) and a BENFEI @£6.45 both from Amazon.

But your question gave me pause for thought - is the performance the same when connected to a Pi4? So I perform a few tests:-

Write 2000MB of nulls to the SUNBOW using each cable connected to a USB3 port of the Pi4:-

UGREEN average speed 186MiB/s
BENFEI average speed 194MiB/s

Not much in it and I prefer the UGREEN for its shape and disk activity light.

These write speeds are typical for a USB 3.1 gen1 port at around 3 times faster (not 10!) than a USB2 port.

Just for fun I performed a read of the 2000MB nulls created above on the UGREEN cable and got around 489MiB/s and thats around 80% of the USB port speed and close to the adverised SSD max read speed of 560MB/s.

So next I compared my high-speed sd card a 'MicroSDXC 128GB Class 10 Ultra High Speed':-

average speed to write 2000MB - 32.8MiB/s slow huh?
average speed to read 2000MB - 503MiB/s Wow!

The cost of a SUNBOW 120GB SSD with adapter is around £20.50 whilst the SDXC card is £32.88.

Food for thought.

These results have got me thinking again about how data is cached in the Pi as that SDXC card read speed is 5 times faster than the theoretical read speed of the card at 100MB/s!

Cheers,

DV

Thanks for the very complete answer DV. Ultimate speed isn't really the issue for me, I just a need something reliable. The adapters are amazingly cheap aren't they?

advertisement

Back