advertisement

Cheap laptop recs

Another shout for Lenovo, I have had a T420 and a T520 for a good few years with no problems at all, pretty bombproof.

yeah, I had a very quick look and on amazon you can get an 8gb version for over 100 quid more... this one looks decent too -
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5499317

haven't checked all the specs, but it looks to hit the spots for me... but will be looking in late jan anyway... :)

That does a look a good deal. Go for the 8GB version if you can run to it, it will make a worthwhile difference, especially with graphics processing

Ahh, should be fine for that. My only other concern with bottom-end laptops is that upgrading RAM is a pain. Either they only have one slot, or getting to the memory slots is a nightmare because you have to take the whole thing apart. Even mid-range HPs are like this.

One thing I check these days when supplying is does it have a separate 'hatch' to access the RAM slots - Fujitsuusually do, Acer, Asus and Lenovo generally don't at the bottom end of the market.

Non upgradable soldered in ram is becoming ever more common, I expect before too long that practically all new laptops will be this way and those that are not will be uneconomical to upgrade because RAM will take a price hike.

Non upgradable soldered in ram is becoming ever more common, I expect before too long that practically all new laptops will be this way and those that are not will be uneconomical to upgrade because RAM will take a price hike.

It isn't so much that it is soldered in, it is still usually a SODIMM in a socket, but you have to dismantle the machine to get at it, which isn't for the faint hearted. Cheap machines are built down to a price and become disposable, and it is more expensive to put a hatch in the bottom to access it, so they don't. It is an absolute pain in the nether regions.

It isn't so much that it is soldered in, it is still usually a SODIMM in a socket, but you have to dismantle the machine to get at it, which isn't for the faint hearted. Cheap machines are built down to a price and become disposable, and it is more expensive to put a hatch in the bottom to access it, so they don't. It is an absolute pain in the nether regions.

I know some have SODIMM sockets buried deep inside but soldered in ram is becoming more common.

advertisement

Back