advertisement

Cheap(ish) Laptops

I don’t know much about them other than the fact that good quality refurbs have become scarce since lockdown so this looks reasonable value at £379. It has a metal body, HD screen, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, USB3 ports and crucially a 3 year warranty. On sale online from Aldi on 28 Feb but already on sale at Aldi Belgium if you want to check on the spec.

https://www.aldi.be/nl/onze-aanbied...-02/notebook-35-5-cm-14-5797-1-0.article.html
I would not touch anything labelled with Medion with anything other than a very long barge pole. Their customer service, or lack of, is legendary.

Those Lenovos are still ridiculous value - I’ve 3 family members using them

Last edited:
My hack laptop is an i7 Lenovo T430s that I bought cheap on Ebay, stuck 2 500GB SSD's in it (one replacing the DVD) and 16GB of RAM. That's been going for years and is tough (I've lost count of the times the dog has dragged it onto the floor) and still decently fast.

Are there any Ryzen-based laptops that currently are "cheap-ish", that anybody here would recommend?

I would not touch anything labelled with Medion with anything other than a very long barge pole. Their customer service, or lack of, is legendary.
I am now led to believe that Medion laptops are made by Lenovo, so perhaps they have improved. At the price, they may be well worth a punt.

Medion are owned by Lenovo these days - essentially they are a budget/consumer brand. For the money, this one is worth a punt.

The low end of the laptop market has been a nightmare over the last year - prices have gone up across the board anyway, but what a year to eighteen months ago would have cost £350, is now more like £600-£650 if you can get it.

advertisement

Back