advertisement

Cheap headphone amp options - until Teddy Pardo's

Whaleblue

Southbound
Whilst looking forward to my TeddyDAC arriving I've been making plans around how I see my hi-fi setup evolving. If all goes to plan I intend to end up with Teddy's PR1 and ST60.

I also need the option to use headphones, so asked Teddy if he had plans to make a headphone amp. Apparently he does, but expects it to take at a year or more before this happens. So, until that option becomes available I would prefer to employ a cheapish stop-gap.

Any opinions on what would be listenable but <£100?

One option I'm looking at is the Superlux HA3D (about £80 shipped from Thomann) as it should have an ongoing use as a desktop amp when replaced in my main system. However, there are some minor questions over its performance on mids/vocals, so I'm not sure.

One further consideration I have is that I think I'll be running the head amp from the XLR outs I've specified on the TeddyDAC.

Bump - if anyone has a moment away from the "why are we all here anyway isn't it all just a waste of time and money" thread any input would be gratefully received :) :)

Hi,
I have been looking into buying a headphone amp for some time. Then I came across the new Project S headphone amp £100 . Thats what I am goeing to buy. Thanks for the heads up on the Teddy Pardos amp will look into that when it happens. But will get the Project in the mean time. Headphones shall get AKG Q701.

rosie

At £100ish, I use an Aune Headphone amp/dac for the past 2 years, from china so will end up costing more with import fees but might be UK sellers too. Vastly better value than a project, or suchlike.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
£119 :eek: That's US products in the UK for you!
Isn't 20 quid of that VAT? Then you've got import duties, and a different PSU..., the distributor has the hassle of sending it back to the US if it breaks, so maybe not a crazy markup (works in reverse with Naim/Harbeth here). Who knows, it could be all you need in an amp.

Isn't 20 quid of that VAT? Then you've got import duties, and a different PSU..., the distributor has the hassle of sending it back to the US if it breaks, so maybe not a crazy markup (works in reverse with Naim/Harbeth here). Who knows, it could be all you need in an amp.

Fair point, but it just means buying from the other side of the pond (either way around) is going to tip the balance away from such a deal.

Fair point, but it just means buying from the other side of the pond (either way around) is going to tip the balance away from such a deal.
True. If you see it priced significantly less elsewhere, it's hard to pay over the odds. Take Harbeth 30.1 - £2,400 *including* 20% VAT in the UK, and $6K+tax in the US, so almost double the cost at current exchange rates.

True. If you see it priced significantly less elsewhere, it's hard to pay over the odds. Take Harbeth 30.1 - £2,400 *including* 20% VAT in the UK, and $6K+tax in the US, so almost double the cost at current exchange rates.

Quite, I might be happy to pay £119 if I didn't know it was half that in the US!

this is my one, only the caps look a bit different: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=160428245601

can't find any UK sellers atm :(

Looking at a review on the US Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/24bit-headphone-preamp-WM8805-PCM1793/product-reviews/B006HXV9UO ) it looks like yours is a MK1 version of the one now on Amazon UK.

As it's a DAC/head amp it will be a useful desk based device in future, so I've gone ahead and ordered one. Thanks for the pointer.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Indeed, there's a newer range out with X-styled casing and redone internals...hope it serves you well, I'm also using it on my desk :)

Hi,
Re the new Project Head Box S, it has the Hi Fi News outstanding product award, thats quite a good reveiw.

rosie

Hi,
Re the new Project Head Box S, it has the Hi Fi News outstanding product award, thats quite a good reveiw.
rosie

Rosie, I ended up decidiing that a DAC/amp would eventually be more useful elsewhere on the basis that I wanted to replace it in a year or so. Apologies if I seemed dismissive of your helpful input.

I shall post my findings on the Aune X1 when I have it, perhaps you could add your feedback on the Project for anyone who searches on the subject in future?

advertisement

Back