advertisement

Cheap bookshelf speakers

These Tannoy Mercury speakers are terrible when ABed against my Spendor SP2/2, which themselves are nowhere near as good as my Adam monitors

It's like listening to a pair of Amstrad speakers or something.

So far, it looks like I might be able to get a pair of Rega Kites, Ditton 121, KEF 102. Mordaunt MS20 for under a hundred quid.

Are there any under-rated classics I should look out for? Not keen on having ports at the back.

OK, ports at the back can work. The Wharfedale Diamond & Goodman's Maxim 2 work really well 5 to 10 cm. from a wall.
Actually they are really good, and cheap...

Bought a pair of Whardale Diamonds for about £90 a few years back. These are used on a shelf, with my Panosonic Plasma and wifey`s sony cd/dab player. She loves them. :)

B&W CM1 (from the Concept 90 series). Nice drivers (a version of the later acclaimed Matrix tweeter) with a Matrix cabinet, albeit of some kid of resin with plastic matrix inside. Saw some on gumtree for £50 a couple of months ago, often about £80 on ebay when they appear (which is rarely)..

b0005432_019496.jpg

Not sure what the later CM1s are like..

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The ones in the second listing aren't Sonatas.

The Sonata was a nice speaker and one of the cheapest with real wood veneer.

The third link is a picture of JPW Mini moinitors, not Sonatas.

I have a pair in my loft as well as a pair of TDL NFMs, a similar beast.

I go for the ms 20

I bought some for a friend's dad together with an old audiolab 8000a and a project TT.

The system sounded fabulous!

M

I recently got a pair if Myryad speakers, essentially a rebadged Q Acoustics concept 20, for £110 brand new in box posted from Peter Tyson. Cracking little speakers. They might have some left. If you've gone from Spendors you might find the top end of the Tannoys a little unrefined.

I still have a pair of MS20. Surprisingly good bass extension for a sealed cabinet, but whether time has intervened I don't know, but the Audax tweeters are not extended in the treble as well as more modern MS tweeters, so I'd look elsewhere. Anything that is Pearl Edition is IMO pretty good.

I was always impressed with the sound from the original Coda IIIs. At the time I don't think there was anything to touch them at the price. I seem to remember them winning lots of comparisons with the MS20. My friend had a pair in an expensive Linn LP12/amp/cheap speaker that was in vogue.
Castle Clydes were also excellent too.

So far, it looks like I might be able to get a pair of Rega Kites, Ditton 121, KEF 102. Mordaunt MS20 for under a hundred quid.

Are there any under-rated classics I should look out for? Not keen on having ports at the back.

I hope you've found some.
If not, my modified original Wharfedale Diamonds are still available...

M. Miles.

I quite liked a pair of the old sealed box version of the Celestion 3's I had once

Should be less that £50 if you can find a pair

Eddie

I recently got a pair if Myryad speakers, essentially a rebadged Q Acoustics concept 20, for £110 brand new in box posted from Peter Tyson. Cracking little speakers. They might have some left. If you've gone from Spendors you might find the top end of the Tannoys a little unrefined.

Just FYI, Peter Tyson have sold out of these chappies.

Celestion One speakers are tiny and still sound great. They seem quite rare and are ported but have good bass and extended treble.

advertisement

Back