advertisement

'Cheap' basic iPads

rbrierle

pfm Member
We've never been an 'Apple household' but the kids are increasingly being recommended apps at primary school for use at home that are not available/do not have direct equivalents on Android or Amazon Fire.

Putting aside for a moment my views on this, I would like views on whether older (cheaper) iPads would do the job. Clearly they aren't running demanding apps/games/video. I had a quick look at refurb iPad 2 16GB models for ~£100 - seem to be a fair few complaints of batteries on their last legs, slow performance etc.

I guess iOS emulators running on a Windows 10 PC may be another option. I've certainly no desire for fork out hundreds for the pleasure of running a spelling app etc...

Thoughts welcome.

Rob

Would they need an iPad to use said Apps or could they use an iPod or iPhone instead. Unless there are hours of use required,the smaller screen devices may be adequate (and significantly cheaper)? Another thought: if you take a chance with a 2nd hand Ipad & battery life is a prob, you could get a 2m mains lead and use it so, at a desk or kitchen table, etc. Avoids kids contorted on the sofa with iPad balanced between one knee and other ankle.

Primary schools advocating the use of apps at home?

May I ask what apps are recommended?

Be a bit careful with older iPads unless you know they’re not going to fall off the iOS upgrade ladder any time soon. A friend of mine was happily using his Barclays banking app until an app update rendered it inoperable on his iPad with no going back. Oddly enough, Barclays refused to buy him a new iPad (he did ask nicely), so now he’s lost the functionality of iPad banking.
I expect spelling apps are less version dependent but bear it in mind

We keep an Ipad in the kitchen for general purposes, recipes, weather, some emails, Amazon shopping, Facebook that kind of thing. Really, this is what the basic models are built for. We do not have a TV in the kitchen - despite Bake-off often clashing with dinner. We bought the latest basic model in the USA a few months ago and I think it is pretty good value. It replaced an earlier model (Ipad 2 I think) that has got slow and poor battery life - that has a new life in my man cave as an Ipeng controller for the Innuos Zen box.

The new Ipad is actually more useful than Alexa, who also lives in the kitchen. Over the hubbub of family life we end up having to repeat questions to Alexa.

In terms of ipads as a minimum you really want an iPad air.

We have a couple here the 1st series iPad airs, and they just *barely* are usuable now.

Thanks all.
  • looking at iPhones - an option I hadn't considered. Also good point re mains cable for this purpose.
  • Which apps? There have been a number over the years (often found Android versions) but the one I was looking for last night was called 'A+' a spelling app. There is a different app by the same name on Android.
  • iPad ownership isn't compulsory, i.e. not required for completing homework. It's more a case of "we're using this app in school, your child may like to use it at home". Schools are still very iOS.

You will get a lot of anti apple views here but they’re great devices and worth the money (unless you have no use for one). For this task, a mini 2 should suffice, it runs iOS 12 (better than it ran 10/11) and is still a decent, usable device, much, much better than an iPad 2. Want to save some money? Buy one with a couple of dents, it’ll probably pick some up anyway.

My daughter still uses a 1st gen iPad Mini. The trick is to not update them... still runs fine. It would grind to a halt with a new version of iOS though.

be careful buying ipads second hand as they are often difficult to tell apart. I have seen 3 ipad minis on ebay posing as mini 2's
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/which-ipad-3528437/
my vote also for ipad mini 2 as it has a fantastic screen and runs the current ios which the ipad 2 will not, this will restrict the apps available.
if you buy from music magpie you get a years warranty
Rgds
Stuart

be careful buying ipads second hand as they are often difficult to tell apart. I have seen 3 ipad minis on ebay posing as mini 2's
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/which-ipad-3528437/
my vote also for ipad mini 2 as it has a fantastic screen and runs the current ios which the ipad 2 will not, this will restrict the apps available.
if you buy from music magpie you get a years warranty
Rgds
Stuart
The mini 2 is a much newer device than the iPad 2 and much more powerful. I’ve bought stuff from Music Magpie too, no complaints here.

If you buy an old iPad you will be unable to upload the later operating systems, and the apps you need may not be able to run. In technology it’s much better to get the latest versions.

If you buy an old iPad you will be unable to upload the later operating systems, and the apps you need may not be able to run. In technology it’s much better to get the latest versions.

We're talking cheap and basic, no need for all the latest bells and whistles.

advertisement

Back