advertisement

[WTD] Cheap as chips digital camera for use in dementia care home

starbuck

pfm Member
My wife (Lou) works in a local residential care home doing activities with people with Alzheimer's and dementia, and a couple of residents have expressed an interest in taking photos as an activity. This is also an activity which could be combined with some of the other activities (eg. gardening, painting, cooking) in order to document them for the residents and their family members.

Lou is therefore looking for a digital camera for the residents to use, which is cheap to buy and easy/effective to use. It needs to be a camera, as opposed to a mobile phone with a camera on it, as a mobile phone holds no remembrance value for the majority of the residents, and the camera would ideally have a viewfinder (as an older, film camera would have had), so that it would be similar to a camera the resident using it may have had in the past.

It would not need to be anything amazing and would ideally not be vaulable/expensive to buy, as there is a strong possibility that it could/will get dropped and damaged, it would just need to be able to be operated easily by someone with memory problems and who may also have joint mobility problems too. A point and shoot, basically, which can take a decent image indoors by someone with (possibly) shakey hands. Lou can then deal with the uploading side onto a computer for archive and sharing purposes.

Does anyone have an old camera sitting unused/unloved in a drawer/cupboard now that they have upgraded to something more modern, that they would be willing to part with for not too much cash?

Please drop me a PM with details if so, thanks for reading.

I have a Pentax Optio that belonged to my mum. Little used, a good compact. No viewfinder but a fair-sized screen. I'll check with my brother but if he's cool (as it belonged to Mum) you'd be welcome to it. Would be a fitting use for it.

Many thanks for your reply, Jason, it is much appreciated, as are the couple of PMs I've had with offers, too (will reply to those shortly).

Jason, I'll drop you a PM in a moment or two to discuss.

Thanks all, it looks like Lou is now sorted thanks to the very generous spirit of the forum.

I have a Nikon Coolpix L29. Runs from 2 x AA batteries / full size SD card.

No view finder but it's simple as it gets, point, click job done.

As it' a good cause you can have it FOC (I'm sure I have a 8GB card too)

Was my daughters but she never really used it.

advertisement

Back