advertisement

Charity Shop Vinyl

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
Thread to discuss charity shop finds, what have you found and how much did you pay? Nothing too interesting from me today :

Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygene
Nils Lofgren - Cry Tough
Jon & Vangelis - Short Stories

All vinyl in excellent condition for £1 each

I went in an Oxfam the other day they were charging £3.99 and £4.99 for really battered stuff

Oxfam have been rubbish for second hand vinyl for ages now, in my opinion. It's almost as if someone working there got hold of Record Collector and assumed 'mint' meant 'any old condition'.

Mick

Oxfam in Cheadle have a more or less dedicated to music store, it ain't half dear.
Better bet is to visit the Audio Counsel just a few doors down on the same side of the road.

There's an Oxfam in Glasgow that I had a look in once.

Walked past and saw all these classic LPs up in the window, thinking it's Oxfam might get some for a few quid. On closer look they were selling albums for anything up to £10

That's not what I'd call charity shop prices.

I bought Traffic - Shoot out at the fantasy factory in that nice sleeve with the cut-off corners, from Oxfam recently. Not particularly cheap, but I like the whole package. Sounds good too.

Tim

Near where i live they seem to have ALL "Limited Edition" vinyl and charging very high prices - Metallica Black Album £30, Tom Waits - Heart Attack and Vine £15 and the majority are starting at £10. Last week i did get a mint Little Feat - Down On The Farm for £3 in the sort of bargain section so i cannot complain........... but a couple years ago i was buying a lot from them as they started at 75p and the most expensive was £2.

i bought 5 Eagles albums a couple years ago for £5 from them on vinyl all mint and yet now Hotel California is £10 on its own?!?!?!??

Chaps

The main purpose of a charity shop is to raise money for good causes, not to provide cheap stuff for tight fisted gits.

Mick

Charity shops used to pile it high sell it cheap. I used to find a few bargains and then take a chance on a few other records. I probably spend less now that records are more expensive in charity shops. I certainly don't bother with stuff unless I know exactly what it is.

Chaps

The main purpose of a charity shop is to raise money for good causes, not to provide cheap stuff for tight fisted gits.

Mick

I think you will find that the two are not mutually exclusive - hence why charity shops exists - doh!

The thing which is annoying is that as the charity shops do not have the expertise to price records for a collector market the absurdly high prices tend to be a intermediate stage prior to their abandoning vinyl altogether. I've noticed many charity shops no longer have any at all which is a great shame. Pricing cheaply for fast turnover is a far more sensible approach if one doesn't understand a given market IMO.

Tony.

Chaps

Mick

Yes but these records are donated for free, therefor if they are selling them for a couple of pound they are still raising money and I'm getting a bargain, making everyone happy.

But it seems Oxfam seem to think they are some sort of HMV when it comes to records and CDs these days, so they are losing out.

The Oxfam on Byers Road in Glasgow is strictly a music one and it is a total rip off.

Chaps

I thought I was a bit of an asshole when it comes to trying to knock the price off something but in all my years I have never tried to take money off a charity.

I just hope you enjoyed your cheap record.

The people behind the counter do their job for nothing in order to keep costs down and you whinge like some bloody scrooge about paying an extra couple of quid. You really should sit down and think about it.

Regards

Mick

The people behind the counter do their job for nothing in order to keep costs down and you whinge like some bloody scrooge about paying an extra couple of quid. You really should sit down and think about it.

I think you are missing my point, which is if they priced the stuff reasonably they'd sell it. As it is some shops think they have knowledge because some one gave them a copy of the RCRRPG or whatever and end up pricing either the wrong item or seriously damaged goods up at collector prices, they then obviously don't sell, and the end result is they give up and abandon vinyl altogether. No one wants to pay a full collector price for the wrong pressing or a scratched record, yet I see this time after time these days, and then the next time I'm in the shop there is no vinyl at all. A little knowledge is often a dangerous thing!

Tony.

Tony's right here, I also agree one should not haggle in a charity shop, good points made above from Mick too.

However, in my local Cancer Research they have a copy of Sticky Fingers; ripped cover, vinyl scratched to hell and unplayable but want £20 for it as the cover has the zip and someone read in a collector book it is sought after.

advertisement

Back