advertisement

Chantelles - tracking down old 7"

Bubblechild

pfm Member
Anyone heard of/remember the 60s UK girl group The Chantelles?

With (then) new member Nola York they made a 7" single in 1966 called 'There's Something About You', which was released on Polydor, and which I'm trying to track down.

My mother was friends with Nola York, and had a copy of the single. As a kid, I loved it, and played it so much that it broke - mum was furious!

It's mum's 65th birthday at the end of next week and I thought it would be neat to track down a copy of the recording and replace it for her after all this time. Didn't think it would be so hard to find or I wouldn't have left it so late...I have tried eBay, tried e-mailing Polydor, tried the 'chantellemusic' website, and a few online record stores - but no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Bubble

Do you mean to say you haven't seen 'Dateline Diamond', an unlikely tale of diamond smuggling and pirate radio, currently showing in rotation on Actionmax on Sky?

If not, a treat in store, - especially when the Chantelles sashay round the control room aboard Radio London, lip-synching a hip number being played by the DJ. Beehives, matching A-line tunics in (I'm guessing) Orlon, with liberal use of ric rac round the neckline. Dreamy. Might even be the song you want! The Small Faces & Kenny Everett also feature, so I'm guessing that it must be post Nola.

While waiting for the doubtless imminent Chantelles revival fever to mount, you could get the DVD, which has just come out in a smashing new print!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-3600784-8844640

handjiving palp

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hey thanks for this. I had come across references to Dateline Diamonds - but on your recommendation it sounds like a groovy buy.

This story has a happy ending I think - I got an e-mail from Nola York, who remembers mum and is going to send me a copy of the track! God bless her and long live 60s legends!

advertisement

Back