advertisement

Changing rectifier's ..is it worthwhile??

Thank you all for your knowledgeable replies

I have gained a little info on the subject now ... enough to make the choice to change to a better rec' or not
Cheers

In a DIY Dual 24v Naim pre-amp PSU I noticed a SQ difference in moving from 2 junctions (I was running half wave) of a stock NAP bridge rectifier to 2 Schottky diodes.

I also have a mini-Quasimodo...but haven’t built it yet :) This seems the best option to snubbing.

Resurrecting s rather old thread but I was fascinated by the Quasimodo transformer ringer used to optimise snubbing. I found that a cheap version had been proposed:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pow...dirty-transformer-snubber-bellringer-jig.html

So what with some poor weather a few weekends back I had a dig in my spares and found everything I needed and threw together the board below. I built it with the ability to plug in different caps that would form the snubber and the preset pot is to adjust the snubber. Once ringing removed just measure the preset resistance and used a fixed resistor to build the network. It works a treat even with my ancient scope. The image shows the transformer ringing before dialing in the snubber network.

Dirt cheap and works, whats not to like.

AW1o7mU.jpg

Great thing, I use mine on every Paradise psu that I build. Dont forget to upload the values you find the the transformer list on diyaudio.com

advertisement

Back