advertisement

Changing our attitude to meat consumption for environmental reasons

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
On a 10 mile walk with the savage beast yesterday
49085607901_6cd85ed177_t.jpg
we must've come across at least 500 deer at different times, some of the herds were 200 strong. Deer are a real problem in our area, and it seems across the country. They cause problems for crop growers. Local farmers can't cull them fast enough. When they do cull, they get a pittance for the venison, most of it goes abroad or is destroyed.

Venison is plentiful, it has no rearing costs and it's naturally lean. There is no reason for venison in this country to be expensive other than it being considered a niche product.

If we switched from eating cows to eating deer we would have a cheap, plentiful supply of free range meat without the problems of rearing. It would also reduce the need to produce crops for cattle at the same time as making crop production less wasteful.

than focussing on reducing beef consumption for the sake of the environment, shouldn't we instead be switching our meat consumption to venison? The benefits would be 1) help the environment 2) solve the deer overpopulation problem 3) solve the issues around the rearing of cattle, 4) reduce some problems of crop production and 5) save posh people from being ripped off on a product that is very cheap.

If you're cutting your meat consumption for Environmental reasons, don't, eat as much Bambi as possible instead. You know it makes sense?

(Betsy does, she's on a mission to reduce numbers in her own rather direct way)

I am quite certain that a few calculations would change the notion that herds of wild deer would get anywhere near substituting for mountains of farmed meat that are consumed in any country. The required tonnage would be orders of magnitude out.

But yes, venison is delicious and should be more widely available. Perhaps the laws on trading Game are overdue for overhaul?

Going back to eating the amount of meat we did in to 60s and 70s would help....maybe then there would be enough Bambis to go around.

I am quite certain that a few calculations would change the notion that herds of wild deer would get anywhere near substituting for mountains of farmed meat that are consumed in any country. The required tonnage would be orders of magnitude out.

But yes, venison is delicious and should be more widely available. Perhaps the laws on trading Game are overdue for overhaul?
absolutely, but if I as an individual switch to eating Bambi in place of reducing my cow consumption, wouldn't I be having a greater individual impact.

I'm with you on the venison consumption, for sure. A lean, tasty meat that's low in cholesterol - what's not to like?

The problem is that the dairy industry causes the production of beef as a by-product. Cows don't give milk unless they've calved, basically. 50% of calves will be bulls - so useless to the dairy farmer, so either reared for veal, or generally fattened on for meat.

The other problem with deer culling is the sheer idiocy of some "hunters" - it's difficult to ensure that the finger on the trigger has decent skill and ethics behind it. Unless you get a good kill shot, a panicking animal will run, and besides the needless suffering the lactic acid buildup in the muscle can sour the meat - a detestable death all around.

Can we please have less talk about eating pigeon and rat, I've got a Bambi Burger business to get off the ground here

The reduced environmental footprint thing is catching on. My current client is a manufacturer of meat substitutes/alternative proteins and they are very much going for the sustainability/less carbon/less water/no slurry pits approach. It's quite a big driver for the vegi/vegan market which is gaining ground at the moment.

Wild caught is not particularly on trend at the moment even if it is the norm for ocean fish. This may be because overfishing is threatening a number of species. If only we lived on herrings, sprats and sardines, these are regarded very much as fair game and their population and reproduction rate is such that you can basically fill your boots and the only things that go short as a result are the seagulls.

The main reason for any of this will be price
Can you *factory* farm deer, rabbits et al less than cows, pigs, sheep, chickens.
Second reason is crossing boundaries for the punter buying and eating.
In most minds Deer, lovely fluffy bunnies cute. Cows, pigs, sheep, chickens not cute

shame we cant get sardines, i'd be eating them all the time, along with mackerel
Indeed. Go to the Med and they are 10 a penny. Herring are good and the season is now, they store fat for the spawning and are good to eat over winter. I think around the UK they spawn about now and probably get thinner as the winter wears on.

The main reason for any of this will be price
Can you *factory* farm deer, rabbits et al less than cows, pigs, sheep, chickens.
Second reason is crossing boundaries for the punter buying and eating.
In most minds Deer, lovely fluffy bunnies cute. Cows, pigs, sheep, chickens not cute
Rabbits are easy to farm but not as popular. They eat a lot of rabbit in France, you can get it in the supermarket.

I think I agree with the OP. I've not eaten farmed beef or pork for ages. They both give me indigestion and I don't approve of the way they are reared. We do however eat relatively small amounts of venison, wild boar and rabit all of which are readily available from local farm shops, independent butchers and even Sainsbury's. I also sometimes shoot them myself down on my friend's farm, which gives a certain primeval pleasure.

Indeed. Go to the Med and they are 10 a penny. Herring are good and the season is now, they store fat for the spawning and are good to eat over winter. I think around the UK they spawn about now and probably get thinner as the winter wears on.

Yep.

Cornish sardine (pilchard) is in season now until Feb. The just as good, but under rated humble sprat is also in season now until a march. Sprays are a little smaller than sardines but great value.

advertisement

Back