advertisement

Challenge From Harbeth... (part II)

Gentlemen, I only first started reading part I of this thread earlier today. I made it 30+ posts in a day. In an effort to avoid divorce and/or have to go up a waist size: would you be kind enough to let me know whether or not the test was ever accepted and carried out?

The thread is of particular interest to me. I've owned one "hi-fi" amp in my life. A NAD c320BEE. I've had it for nearly a decade now, though I've been through many speakers. I have countless things my money could be put towards right now, though I am interested in a new amplifier if it would be more than a subtle improvement.

If its not up to the job of driving your speakers properly then you might usefully improve it. If it is and you enjoy it, then...all the more money for music and loose women!

What speakers do you have?

James,

No one has taken the test as far as we know.

Only you can determine if an amplifier change will make a worthwhile improvement for you.

Regards,

Dave

James,

No one has taken the test as far as we know.

Only you can determine if an amplifier change will make a worthwhile improvement for you.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I'm sure you're correct on that point. I just wish it were a risk free proposition.

Arthur, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands. My favorite speakers I've owned without question.

I actually had the NAD go into protection for the first time in 10 years only a few days ago. I admit, it was cranking Dead Meadow like an asshole and it involved whisky.

Just googled them.

They look like fine healthy appetited beasts and I might suggest could benefit from a meatier diet.

I like Nad amps (I've owned four) and they are bargain stuff.

If you like the sound, I'd certainly try out one of their bigger integrated s.

Perhaps a 270? Or go the whole mile and get one of their massive power amps and use the pre in the 320 in case you decide to go the way of dac/pre later on?

But certainly I'd at least borrow something more powerful to try, also something with a more sophisticated pre might get you some extra detail and size.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Agreeing with Arthur here. There's no indication you aren't happy with NAD's performance overall so why fix something that isn't broken. Stick with them!

Regards,

Dave - old 3020 owner

I have no reason to believe that is or is not true.

Genuine question: if all amps that do 200w into 4ohms sound more similar than not, is the leader if the pack the (sales-wise), also the value leader? If so, why not?

Has anyone actually taken up the challenge yet? If so what was the outcome?

The whole thing is a straw man, just because someone believes some amps can sound different in some circumstances, doesn't mean they think they always sound different in all circumstances.

It was Beechwood Audio. I opened the first branch in Braintree Essex in 1984, a second branch in Bury St Edmunds in 1986, then had to close both a few years later. I don't regret having had a go, but sadly I was totally unsuited to dealing with HiFi enthusiasts as opposed to music lovers or engineers. If it didn't make engineering sense I wouldn't sell it, and actively discouraged upgrading as wasteful. Silly really to think I could run a shop but at the time I felt I needed to run my own business.

S.

i got quite a few bits of you serge....what was the other dealer out towards cambridge around those days 'steve boxshall' or something?

i got quite a few bits of you serge....what was the other dealer out towards cambridge around those days 'steve boxshall' or something?

Hi Darrylfunk, nice to come across an old customer. There aren't that many about!

Yes, Steve Boxhall was in Cambridge, then he sold out to Beverly who ran The AudioFile in Bishop's Stortford. Steve's health was the reason he sold, sad, as I thought he was a very good dealer indeed. In fact, talking to Steve was what gave me the idea of setting up a HiFi shop when I was keen to have a go at running my own business.

S.

Hi Darrylfunk, nice to come across an old customer. There aren't that many about!

Yes, Steve Boxhall was in Cambridge, then he sold out to Beverly who ran The AudioFile in Bishop's Stortford. Steve's health was the reason he sold, sad, as I thought he was a very good dealer indeed. In fact, talking to Steve was what gave me the idea of setting up a HiFi shop when I was keen to have a go at running my own business.

S.

there were a lot of good dealers around essex/suffolk/norfolk then....chris at pro musica as well....i think it all started to go to pot when linn and naim fell out and started pressurising their dealers....it made it bad for everyone....i remember my boss having a chat at the time to a rep of the scottish company asking him not to stock a certain speaker from cambridge.....really depressing time of flat earth bullying and hi fi magazines spouting nonsense with a new best buy every month.....sad really.

advertisement

Back