advertisement

Cello By Myabi

simon0918

pfm Member
Not really an IC but have seen one for sale and thinking of investing in my last ever cart. Has any of my pfm's heard one?
Would like to know if they are worth the asking. My usual carts are Koetsu and Benz Micro.

Vaguely remember reading about these in days of yore. Dunno which K and Benz you have (very different cart's!) but not sure of the attraction to this rather relatively unknown cart. Have a hazy memory that these were connected somehow with an American amp. manufacturer (Madrigal, M.L.?). I'm most likely totally wrong, though.

I had a Red for a number of years then a VDH colibri and now the BM Ebony all have the pro's and cons in my system. Was just thinking about trying something not run of the mill.

If memory serves, they are very low compliance - similar to Koetsu - but rather lower output What arm you planning on running it on as a match will be critical.

I believe Fuuga (who took over Takeda's business when he retired) will service them but not all parts are available.

Personally I would go for something like a Murasakino Sumile or My Sonic Lab Hyper Eminent or above. (I'm running the MSL Hyper Eminent at the moment).

Not really an IC but have seen one for sale and thinking of investing in my last ever cart. Has any of my pfm's heard one?
Would like to know if they are worth the asking. My usual carts are Koetsu and Benz Micro.

There are two variants of the Cello cart; one by Ikea called the limited and was a canterleverless design. The other, whch is more well known, is the Chorale made by Miyabi. and is probably the one you are interested in. The specs are ; output 0.35 mv, Imp. 2.5 ohms, comp. 7x10 cm/dyn, Weight 15gms and tracking force 2.0-2.2gms. A friend of mine in Canada sold his last year for $1800, so the prices in the UK for nearly £5000 seem nonsense. You might be better off talking to John at MAX about the fuugua which is a superb cartridge and was used at the Hi Fi show to great effect. It is also a current production unlike the Cello. There is a fallacy that just because something is rare it must be good and therefore attracts high prices (applies not just to hi Fi). So good luck and be careful.

Ah yes I remember the Ikeda version of the Cello, I had an Ikeda 9C (cantilever-less) myself. Striking and immediate in the manner of a Decca London, but a bit less compromised. So far as I'm aware there is no-one around who can service them these days.

I think Perart1's advice - go modern - is spot on.

advertisement

Back