advertisement

Celia Cruz

Thomas K

pfm Member
Hello all,

Went to see Calexico last week -- good stuff.

Before the gig started they had some Celia Cruz playing over the PA. There are so many recordings I don't know where to start. Any recommendations? I'd prefer something rootsy, natural, raucous as opposed to smoothed-out, radio-compatible synth-enriched fare.

Cheers,
Thomas

I think her "best" period is generally considered to have been from the mid-sixties to the late-seventies. Look for any of her "Tico" label albums with Tito Puente, the Vaya sides from the mid-seventies also with Puente, but featuring Ray Barretto or the later "Fania" label records made with people such as Willie Colon and Ruben Bldes.
The Tico albums are not easy for me to get, but Fania and Vaya sides still seem to be plentiful.
These were the golden years of Salsa, and she was the Queen, so you won't be disappointed if you stick with the above.

Joel

Thomas,
No problem. I can't really be more precise, because she cut a lot of albums in that period, only a very few of which I've heard, but which seem to cut a pretty consistant groove.
Also, I find that when I'm looking for vinyl I can't be too choosy about the particular album - maybe if I went to NY to look...
Keep an eye out for her work on Tico, Vaya and Fania and you'll probably be happy.

Joel

advertisement

Back