advertisement

Celestion SL6s Bass driver surrounds

mark121211

pfm Member
Over the course of a week one of my Celestion SL6s bass drivers has developed 2 splits in the rubber surround. The other speaker looks perfect but I suspect its only a matter of time before it follows suit.

IMG_4420

The only repalcement surrounds I can find online are from a company in NL. These are a standard rubber surround, not the hard / soft combo of the SL6 orignals.

https://speakerrepairshop.nl/en/rub...celestion-sl6si-sl-6si-woofer/a-2047-10000029

Has anyone rebuilt a SL6 bass driver with these surrounds?

Does anyone know of a different source of surrounds for the SL6? Appreciate genuine NOS is probably NLA by now.

Does anyone have any experince swapping out SL6 surrounds? I've rebuilt plenty of other driver units. Just looking for some tips / observations....

Last edited:
As they are transverse, I'd say it is much less of a worry than a circumferential split. Rubber cement carefully applied, perhaps on the back?

As they are transverse, I'd say it is much less of a worry than a circumferential split. Rubber cement carefully applied, perhaps on the back?
I removed the driver to look at the back and whilst your suggestion is feasible my guess is it wont stop the tear propegating to the thinner part of the surround unless additional support is added over this area.

Possibly a UV / age related issue (although they are not subject to direct sunlight).

Given 2 cracks have appeared in a week I would not be suprised if more cracks will follow and i'd prefer a one time fix solution.

Cycle repair kit? Trim some small pieces from a cycle tube patch, which usually have thinner edges? Can you get tweezers in? It'll be the Devil's own task though... Otherwise as you say it looks like a replacement is needed, especially as there are other points on the surround that look like they could be near to splitting too.

advertisement

Back