advertisement

Celestion Ditton 10s - 15 Ohm

All I've been able to find on the web is a post dating back to 2003 as follows:

"these were the smallest of the dittons, 5" woofer and 1 1/2" tweeter.
no bass thump at all of cause, rolling off below 80hz.
they were made in the mid 60s in numbers far exceeding 100000, in europe they were the typical teenager speakers of their time.
any amp can drive them, though the output of a transistor amp will
be lower at 16 ohms.
as to value - my son has the bigger brothers ditton 15 with 7" woofer
7" passive radiator and the same tweeter. we paid EUR 20.00 for the
pair in almost mint condition.
the best - nicolas"

My initial reaction is - Great Name but....?

Just don't know anything about this model at all.

They were one of the very first miniature, bookshelf speakers and the smallest in their range. I had a pair, for a couple of years, as my car speakers in the back of my Volvo estate at the time. Sounded pretty good then.

I have a pair which are over 40 years old. I think mine are 15 ohms and are labelled Studio Series. They are also surprisingly heavy for such a small speaker due to the solid construction and the use of some sort of internal bituminous damping material . Apart from the lack of bass they sound good and apparently were used as near field studio monitors by the bbc at some time and may have been the precursors of LS3/5as. They have the HF1300 tweeter. Can't comment on their value really as I inherited mine about 20 years ago, although I have seen them advertised and sold on ebay for £250 in the past.

Been busy researching and came across lots of discussion of the HF1300 tweeter and that even these bits alone go for silly money on the Fleabay.

Went back to put an offer on them - missed em by 2 minutes. Bought for the equivalent of £41.20.

Dammit :mad:

I have a pair which are over 40 years old. I think mine are 15 ohms and are labelled Studio Series. They are also surprisingly heavy for such a small speaker due to the solid construction and the use of some sort of internal bituminous damping material . Apart from the lack of bass they sound good and apparently were used as near field studio monitors by the bbc at some time and may have been the precursors of LS3/5as. They have the HF1300 tweeter. Can't comment on their value really as I inherited mine about 20 years ago, although I have seen them advertised and sold on ebay for £250 in the past.

There's a pair in a local TV Retailer. He collects old speakers, especially Celestions.
His Ditton 10s have metal grilles, not the usual cloth. Would these be the Studio Series ?

I am interested in them and may make an offer, but he says one of the tweeters isn't working correctly. I haven't heard them running yet.

M Miles.

advertisement

Back