Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Celebrity hifi systems

Discussion in 'audio' started by Conan, May 2, 2021.

1. oldius

oldius Can pleasure be measured?

My turntable belonged to Richard Beckinsale of Porridge and Rising Damp fame.

2. oldius

I think he still uses Goldmund speakers, at least he did last time we spoke.

3. mattykyuss

mattykyuss pfm Member

Watched a programme with Brian may.Played a few tunes on his Marantz pm 17 amp.Not sure now if it was a ki version.

4. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

The record cleaner in the far back left corner looks like a Loricraft. That would make sense in that I read somewhere that Terry O'Sullivan of Loricraft had done some service work for Paul McCartney on his Garrards. It looks like a really nice room, I wonder if this is at his pad at St John's Wood?

5. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Bought a quad 306 from Hoosiers drummer in Hackney ( eBay ). Nice guy, gave me a signed autographed cd for my daughter.

Darren and mattykyuss like this.
  6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Had he nicked it?

Brian S, clownfish, fegs and 2 others like this.
  7. oldius

What, with them feet?

8. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

Apparently Keanu Reeves too, most excellent.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

10. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

He could've at least shown one of his brother Tim's band's albums (who allegedly was the inspiration for Tim in The Office).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_Chorus

Joe, over to you for the obligatory HMHB lyric :D

11. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Godbarrrr !

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Recon that Martin Freeman picture is staged. It's all retro stuff, it describes his clothes, and there are no cables coming out of the back of the Naim box.

13. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

The same 401 is in the background here (plus speaker cables!). I think the other shot is from a photoshoot - there are stylists credits etc. But I suspect that is his hi-fi. He's a proper jazz nut!

[​IMG]

14. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Probably just the camera angle or something but that 401 looks to be on the cock

15. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Bit of a reverse picture - when I was a field service engineer for one of the London electronics retailers in early 90s I guess, I had to visit John Shearne or Tim de Pavarinci (to my shame I do not remember which it was! They lived in North London, just south of M25). Anyhow, he‘d bought a top of the line large screen trinitron TV and wasn’t happy with picture quality of it…unfortunately, he‘d seen the 2 tiny vertical wires behind the tube that held the invisible horizontal wires in place - once seen, never forgotten. I, as a gobby mid-20s guy, had to explain to this guy „they all do that sir“. He was ****ing furious, suggesting Sony didn’t know their arse from their elbow from an engineering perspective :)

all the while I‘m eyeing his Hi-Fi - wicked looking amplifier and speakers. I really wanted to ask him about them, and see if I could listen to it. He was too angry, I was to shy - he kicked my ass out of his house :D

Mr Pig likes this.
  16. kanwar

kanwar pfm Member

Yes. Shoot me! I was young, star struck and at the time worked in one of the famous hi-end shops that bragged about how good their coffee was (it was shit), so I guess hifi was very much in my system (boom-boom!). I was also shitting myself when I met him (shoulda laid of the coffee); but to his credit, he was a very nice bloke.

johnhunt and Dowser like this.
  17. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Plinth that big and they couldn't make enough room to mount the SME base properly?

18. vesuvian

vesuvian Active Member

paulfromcamden likes this.
  19. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

How can you say that?

deebster likes this.
  20. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Thanks for posting - I found that interesting too. For some reason I had him down as a purely digital advocate. Perhaps I'm just lumping him in with ECM as a whole.