advertisement

Ceiling speaker installation?

0rangutan

pfm Member
Remarkably, my wife has asked me to add *more* speakers to the house. Specifically, in ceiling speakers for the bathroom.

It is a reasonable size room at 3.5 x 3m (a bedroom in Victorian times) but all hard reflective surfaces. I haven't much a of a clue where to start really so would welcome any ideas.

1. Can you actually achieve reasonable stereo separation with this kind of speaker? If not, is it worth having 2 speakers or will one be sufficient for a room this size?

2. Can they be treated much like normal passive speakers, ie. just fed by regular speaker cable with an amp on the other end somewhere?

3. Assuming only moderate to low listening levels, what physical size speaker should I go for? I'm keen to avoid anything too large.

4. How do you make the hole for them?

5. Any particular gotchas in fitting these?

6. Any makes to look out for/avoid? I am happy spending up to £200 for the speaker(s)

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

1. Probably. You may wish to try only 1 though, I might. Then again, if you are going to the effort, you may as well fit 2.
2.Yes
3. Dunno, something the size of a Wharfey Diamond? A 5" bass driver, say?
4. Cut a hole in the plasterboard, avoiding the joists. If you have a pre-war plaster and lath ceiling, with more difficulty.
5. Depends on the construction. Modern house with easy access to the void, piece of cake. Prewar plater and lath job, could be messy, concrete flats with cast solid construction, try something else.
6. Dunno. Sounds like fun though.

advertisement

Back