advertisement

CDX2 Dilemma

CratZ

Hello all,

The right channel of my CDX2 (2004 model)
has stopped working. I’ve left it off for a week and tried both DIN and RCA, so I think it truly is dead.

Repair would likely involve a new transport, so not an insignificant investment. Because of future uncertainty about transport supplies, I feel repair is a “now or never” situation.

The alternative would be a DAC using my old NAD CD player as a transport. This would open up streaming and file playback, which I have really only dabbled in.

Thoughts on these or an alternative choice?

Thank you,

Charles

My original post may have been misleading - prior to this there was no skipping, so it’s probably just the output boards.

My thought was to replace the transport as well if it’s already at the service center.

The cdx2 is a good player
Probably worth spending some money and having it work well again for the next 10 years

If it's just a relay it shouldn't be expensive to fix. Unless you send it to Naim who have a flat charge for the job. I wouldn't change the transport unless it needs it.

If you decide to buy another player, I much prefer the Rega Saturn-R to the CDX/XPS. The Naim was more dynamic but the Rega is much more analog and musical sounding. Naim sounds great on some CDs, Rega sounds great on all CDs.

See if Class A in Sheffield or Witchhat can fix it. It’s a such a good CD player it’s worth mending. No point replacing the transport just now either.

Streaming is a whole different world (for better and for worse) and though I’ve got that all setup, I’ve tended back to the CDX2 these days.

Thank you for the advice. The universal answer here and elsewhere is to repair, not replace. I’ve emailed AV Options who service Naim in the US.

And on Christmas Eve too, a nice story with a happy ending.

I have a few hifi musical memories (compared to many live music memories) but one is hearing Graceland through my CDX2 and it sounding like I never heard it before. Enjoy your newly energised CDX2 and a Happy Christmas.

.sjb

advertisement

Back