advertisement

CDs you don`t want

Barrymagrec

pfm Member
This idea was prompted by k90tour on the Mahler thread.

I suspect that many of us have CDs that we obtained in error, or were an unwanted present, just blocking up the already over full shelves. You think you might play them sometime but you never will.

How about offering them free to other members in return for a small donation to Tony L?

My first offering (there could be more) Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 6 Andrew Davis BBC Symphony Orchestra.

Posted free within the UK, pound or two to Tony L.

I filleted my CD archive earlier this year [before lockdown], and sent two heavy boxes to Tony L as a present for PFM. These may be seen for sale in the classical part in the adverts section. I missed only one album of CDs, and Tony kindly let me have it back.

If you have something musical that is redundant, and you enjoy PFM, then send a PM to Tony L.

Best wishes from George

Thanks George. Always very happy to receive stock as donations, especially now as I can’t go out buying due to Covid 19.

I have many CDS which I don’t want because I’ve ripped them, and I would happily give them away to a good home. But I believe it is illegal.

I have many CDS which I don’t want because I’ve ripped them, and I would happily give them away to a good home. But I believe it is illegal.

Maybe it would be illegal... I've no idea!... Not sure that the "authorities" would be arsed what you did with them though tbh.

I’ll always take collections/donations here (especially rock/pop/jazz vinyl as I’m pretty much out of fresh stuff to list there!). All welcome!

I think that you have legally to have the physical CD stored in your possession if you use a ripped system for playback.

The CDs that I have parted with were therefore deleted from my iTunes library.

On the other hand, I rather doubt that you are exactly going to be pursued by the copyright authorities even if you part with the physical CDs while retaining the ripped files for playback. These days you can listen for free to almost anything ever recorded on YouTube, so I'd say that the legality point is fairly moot.

best wishes from George

I think that you have legally to have the physical CD stored in your possession if you use a ripped system for playback.

The CDs that I have parted with were therefore deleted from my iTunes library.

On the other hand, I rather doubt that you are exactly going to be pursued by the copyright authorities even if you part with the physical CDs while retaining the ripped files for playback. These days you can listen for free to almost anything ever recorded on YouTube, so I'd say that the legality point is fairly moot.

best wishes from George

But if sold on this forum Tony will technically be complicit.

Yes it’s not worth the potential trouble. I once advertised on a classical music forum 200 CDs for £100 to charity, I thought it was a good thing to do, there were many takers. Then someone pointed out that strictly speaking it’s illegal, because I’d ripped them, and the forum owner would be complicit.

Last edited:
Yes it’s not worth the potential trouble. I once advertised on a classical music forum 200 CDs for £100 to charity, I thought it was a good thing to do, there were many takers. Then someone pointed out that strictly speaking it’s illegal, because I’d ripped them, and the forum owner would be complicit.

Do you honestly think any authorities have the inclination or resource to check if people that have ripped CD's are also in possession of the original physical copy?

I'd wager in today's climate there's more pressing issues
Please don't think I'm being an arse I just can't see this ever being an issue

Do you honestly think any authorities have the inclination or resource to check if people that have ripped CD's are also in possession of the original physical copy?

I'd wager in today's climate there's more pressing issues
Please don't think I'm being an arse I just can't see this ever being an issue

No, but someone decided to kick up a fuss on the forum where I did it, and in fact shortly after this discussion I noticed the forum owner deleted all the discussion about it.

Technically in the UK even ripping cds for your own use is a copyright infringement following a court case a couple of years ago. However it would be difficult to argue that any damages would be due!

advertisement

Back