advertisement

CDI question

FISBEY

pfm Member
Am boxing up my CDI for shipment.

What is the best way to secure the laser assembly?

My last CDI had a piece of foam - I have cut a similar piece of foam, moved the laser assembly across and inserted the foam (not too tightly) so nothing moves.

Is this OK?

I was wary of placing the foam on the other side of the laser assembly as there are wires / flexes there.

Any advice?

The transit bolts are in place, but they don't stop the laser assembly from 'flopping around' during transit, hence the piece of foam.

I remember my CDS being delivered with 2 pieces of foam to stop the mechanism from moving.

IIRC, the bolts are to secure the tray to the chassis (in use it’s “floating”) and the foam to stop the laser head from moving. It’s stating the obvious but don’t move the player from a horizontal position.

Even if you put “this way up” stickers on the parcel, the courier will probably turn it upside down.....

As above - transit bolts secure the entire PCB & laser assembly which is on springs. And the springs do break if the bolts are not used (ask me how I know :)).

And yes, I also secure the swing arm laser with a bit of bubble wrap. Just take photos and explain to the receiver how to gently remove it before powering up :)

I tend to avoid bubble wrap here as it's prone to static build-up and easily popped. A small piece of foam is best. You may want to tape the lid down too with some non-marking tape like the 3M magic tape if the little plastic clip is missing.

advertisement

Back