advertisement

CDi badly tracking help

JonG

My CDi has slowly started to have trouble reading disks (I either get an error, or it just sits chugging away) although once its actually started playing it tends to play fine. This is not the same problem as when the disk slips in the mechanism because the disk is too thin.

Having said that, occassionally I also get what can best be described as a fluttering noise in the bass, but this is intermittent and this happens every couple of weeks.

I bought a new CDM9/44 transport but the motor connector was different (I had a ribbon, the replacement came with a 2wire/white plastic lug), so I just changed the laser part over suspecting that might be at fault, and bought a new Puk. (My CDi is the later one with the puck not the top hat)

Things are still not right though. Any suggestions?

TIA Jon

Hi Jon,

A common cause of failure with the CDI and CDS is wearing of the nextel ring on the trasport. This is the thin dark ring in the middle of the transport.

Another cause is the small rubber loops on the underside of the disc clamp. These become flat with age and lose grip of the spinning disc.

Try gently pinching the rubber loop(s) so that they regain their circular shape. You could also try placing a small amount of blu-tak inside the loop. If the blu-tak cures the problem you know that the clamp is the problem. New clamps are available from Naim. If the nextel ring is at fault, replacement can be expensive as I believe the whole transport has to changed.

If the blu-tak trick works, please treat this as a fault indicator and not a total solution - a new clamp should still be ordered.

Rob.

Thanks Rob. I'm aware of the rubbers on the Puk problem (not sure if thats the right way to spell it) so I've already bought a new one (8.50 didn't seem to bad). But thats not helped.

advertisement

Back