advertisement

CD Transport: Enlightening experience

Whats even more impressive is retrieving the digital signal from ipod touches into a DAC. I also have the CXC which is used for CDs that i have not ripped yet.

I'm sure the DAC has a lot to do with it, my NDX was certainly improved significantly by my Beresford DAC, just a pity it was so much bettered by the CXC.

I've edited the thread title as I can never remember what it is about!

Indeed the OP stated that a CD Transport (Cambridge Audio CXC) bettered his streamer (Naim NDX streamer) yet failed to say which DAC his new Transport was/is playing through.

Is this thread saying that a CD transport betters a digital source, again not mentioned, PC, bluetooth I phone ?

I'm lost too.

Many years ago I had a Rega Planet , original . Which I replaced with the Rega Jupiter transport and Io DAC . Before the Planet was sold on I tried it with the Io DAC , a modest improvement . Substituting the Planet ' transport ' with the Jupiter transport brought a significant improvement , deeper base ,more solid sound , detail and better tune . A few years latter I owned a Sony ES champagne, pink gold chrome thingy with the fantastic cd sledge and also top loading . Just as musical ,maybe a bit better on detail but without some of the Rega weight authority . I got court up in the CD is dead streaming is the future thing a while ago , I never could quite give up the Rega two box and have to say I rather like my CD sound .

Different sound a little sweeter maybe. Lets say I don't hear anything significantly better certainly not worth the extra expenditure and all the faffing about with streaming.
I do agree and from my own experience that a jolly go CD transport is where the ' sound per pound ' is to be found.
I have been looking into but as yet not heard the Pro-ject DS top loading transport which has a separate power supply box available as an upgrade just incase my Jupiter dies. The Jupiter has been back to rega for repair twice ! " Does he us it a lot "was the question they asked when my dealer sent it back so they could made the same D2 diode replacement 4 years apart. Yes I bloody well do mate.
Funny how good CD is being rediscover

Interesting I wrote off 'computer Audio' a few years back after trying a number of mac's on battery, IMac this switch on, that switched off, this software and that etc. I did find that my Denon 3800 BR player was a great transport and CA just didn't cut it. That kit is yet to be replugged in upstairs after moving house. I'm in my study enjoying a Uniqute 2, nap100 and the smallest pair of speakers I own. I was thinking this is actually remarkably enjoyable maybe my problem was not having a good streamer. You've thrown me off track !

IWC

Maybe the reason you prefer streaming in this context as the current system you have is not as revealing as the other set ups you have.

In my main system with 552/250 and Sonus Faber Olympica 1: Vinyl, the Naim tuner and CD (a modded Rotel 855 used as a transport into the Naim DAC/XPS) sounds good. Streaming is not as good here (but I have not tried to many).

In the bedroom system; Nait 2, Ruark Talisman and Uniti Qute (used as a streamer); streaming is fine.

To my ears; computers sound smooth and grey; the blackness between the notes is missing; the silences are grey and not black; body, richness and contrast is a shade weaker.

Just my experience.

Thanks Devraj

No it's basically a record player. You can even get belt driven ones, which make perfect sense and are a no compromise design

Unfortunately the digital buffering still removes most of the wow, flutter and rumble.

To ensure the cd turntable is completely isolated place it in another room ,and constantly getting up will improve your fitness.
Keith

I also use a CXC with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC.
Clearly better, IMO, than an Audiolab 8200CD that I tried as a transport for a while.

Having the CXC's clock and SPDIF interface upgraded was clearly worthwhile in terms of SQ improvement vs cost.

Interested to hear about the mods you made to the cxc. Thanks

I have heard the setup and the Naim wasn't up to the Cambridge.
Surprised me.
Both were run through the Beresford

advertisement

Back