Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CD transport - Cambridge Audio CXC, Audiolab 6000CDT or Oppo UDP203

Discussion in 'audio' started by JezmondTutu, Jan 13, 2020.

1. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Looking for anyone’s experiences of the above as a transport?

I have recently acquired an Oppo UDP203, it’s great but wondering if I would get better sound by buying a dedicated cd transport?

Dac is a Weiss Dac202.

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Almost certainly not.
    Keith

Julf likes this.
  3. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Almost certainly yes.
    Alex

clap likes this.
  4. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

Why would that be?

5. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Were you thinking floral, stripes or what?

Julf likes this.
  6. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

lol - corrected

Whaleblue likes this.
  7. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I seem to have created an are all digits the same thread. Having had a cd transport before (& upgraded it - Micromega), I have heard a difference before.

Having said that, have been happy with my old LG blu-ray player and the Oppo is better than that. But just wondering if a dedicate player, especially one like the Audiolab which grabs data off the disc first and does error correction, would be better.

8. Drumossie

Drumossie And not or

I use a couple of cd players as transports through a Mytek Brooklyn dac, both sound better used as transports rather than stand alone players. This will be down to the dac being a bit more up to date than those onboard the cd players I would imagine. I plan a dedicated transport myself in the near future, not expecting much of an improvement I just like changing players/transports.

9. Alex S

Because I’m an idiot.

10. Purité Audio

I don’t think you are an idiot, gullible maybe.
    Keith/

seethroughyou and Julf like this.
  11. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

Leaving idiots aside, I have indeed been using the Audiolab 6000CDT for a couple of months, after previously using the Cyrus CDt. I can vouch for comments made elsewhere that it does seem more detailed and informative than most. It seems to have time to present the music - rather like a CD version of Viv Richards. If you see what I mean. If you don't....it doesn't matter.

JezmondTutu likes this.
  12. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

I think there's an entire thread devoted to gullibility elsewhere on the 'audio' forum.... :)

13. rod ayling

rod ayling pfm Member

"There may still be some diehards who insist that “a bit is a bit” and therefore all CD transports sound the same, but this certainly is not my experience. Jitter seems to affect the sound subtly, as does poor mechanical isolation and the quality of the power supplies and digital outputs. The 6000CDT is superb for the money and turns in a great performance – not just with its partnering 6000A integrated, but with a host of other DACs that cost multiples of the matching amp’s price"

David Price - Home Cinema Choice

Yet another idiot.

Is it idiot convention day today?

Can i include myself therefore.

JezmondTutu likes this.
  14. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

Let me guess, a journalist without technical background, working for advertising-funded media?

seethroughyou likes this.
  15. rod ayling

rod ayling pfm Member

I think the best way to scientifically prove this for once and for all is "you show me your bits and i'll show you mine".

It's always worked for me previously.

16. Alex S

No, more idiot than gullible - I try stuff within budget and buy the bits I like the sound of. The only time I’ve willfully followed fashion was in 1983 when I bought an LP12/32.5/HC/250.

17. clap

clap pfm Member

I used a Pioneer CD writer as a transport for a bit, it sounded dreadful. Bought a Teac VRDS and it sounded sublime into the same DAC. I'd always have a dedicated transport.

JezmondTutu likes this.
  18. Purité Audio

That description fits every ‘Hi-Fi’ journalist in the U.K.
    Keith

seethroughyou and Julf like this.
  19. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Not quite , hi fi critic has no advertising , just renewed my subs today

darkmatter likes this.
  20. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Being on the subject of transports , anyone compared the primare CD transport to any of these