advertisement

CD transport - Cambridge Audio CXC, Audiolab 6000CDT or Oppo UDP203

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
Looking for anyone’s experiences of the above as a transport?

I have recently acquired an Oppo UDP203, it’s great but wondering if I would get better sound by buying a dedicated cd transport?

Dac is a Weiss Dac202.

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:
Looking for anyone’s experiences of the above as a transport?

I have recently acquired an Oppo UDP203, it’s great but wondering if I would get better sound by buying a decorated cd transport?

Dac is a Weiss Dac202.

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Were you thinking floral, stripes or what?

I seem to have created an are all digits the same thread. Having had a cd transport before (& upgraded it - Micromega), I have heard a difference before.

Having said that, have been happy with my old LG blu-ray player and the Oppo is better than that. But just wondering if a dedicate player, especially one like the Audiolab which grabs data off the disc first and does error correction, would be better.

I use a couple of cd players as transports through a Mytek Brooklyn dac, both sound better used as transports rather than stand alone players. This will be down to the dac being a bit more up to date than those onboard the cd players I would imagine. I plan a dedicated transport myself in the near future, not expecting much of an improvement I just like changing players/transports.

Leaving idiots aside, I have indeed been using the Audiolab 6000CDT for a couple of months, after previously using the Cyrus CDt. I can vouch for comments made elsewhere that it does seem more detailed and informative than most. It seems to have time to present the music - rather like a CD version of Viv Richards. If you see what I mean. If you don't....it doesn't matter.

"There may still be some diehards who insist that “a bit is a bit” and therefore all CD transports sound the same, but this certainly is not my experience. Jitter seems to affect the sound subtly, as does poor mechanical isolation and the quality of the power supplies and digital outputs. The 6000CDT is superb for the money and turns in a great performance – not just with its partnering 6000A integrated, but with a host of other DACs that cost multiples of the matching amp’s price"

David Price - Home Cinema Choice

Yet another idiot.

Is it idiot convention day today?

Can i include myself therefore.

I think the best way to scientifically prove this for once and for all is "you show me your bits and i'll show you mine".

It's always worked for me previously.

I don’t think you are an idiot, gullible maybe.
Keith/
No, more idiot than gullible - I try stuff within budget and buy the bits I like the sound of. The only time I’ve willfully followed fashion was in 1983 when I bought an LP12/32.5/HC/250.

I used a Pioneer CD writer as a transport for a bit, it sounded dreadful. Bought a Teac VRDS and it sounded sublime into the same DAC. I'd always have a dedicated transport.

advertisement

Back