advertisement

CD storage

Had Billies in the past for books. Not useful for CDs really, too deep. But Gnedby looks like an option. Or Gnedby-like diy arrangement.

I just yesterday, today was putting together two Billy bookshelves. There was nothing more shallower available ready made. Yes, it is a bit too deep for cd, actually same goes for most of books. On other hand they are quite stable on their own without attaching them to wall. I ordered extra shelves and created four shelves for cd starting from middle to top. So cd are on eye level, easy to browse and access them. On rest shelves will go books, that will make bottom heavy and all shelve more stable. I think it will be good, a little bit wasted space, but you can use that for manoeuvres, take some off if needed and put nearby if needed.

Last edited:
There is a way of doing this. I've managed to get many more than this into a tighter space. Here's one variant:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=254635820855
Good idea for saving space but I like to keep everything mint and original. I have a dedicated listening room so I’m going to fill the back wall (front wall? The space behind the speakers) with CD storage from the floor to as high as I can reach. I’m going to put some art covered acoustic panels between the top of the CD racks and the ceiling. Should look good whilst being functional for easy access storage and acoustic diffusion.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There is a way of doing this. I've managed to get many more than this into a tighter space. Here's one variant:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=254635820855
Yes, I’ve done this with a fair few CDs, mostly rock and pop in jewel cases. The cases are now in a box in the loft. I store the CDs in drawers of a chest, which I put flipper type CD racks in from Amazon to help help them organised and easier to leaf through when I’m looking for something.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have some units from RED Displays, which use space very economically. Not sure if the company is still active, but you might be able to buy 2nd hand.

For those concerned about the depth of shelves in the IKEA Billy, or indeed any similar sized shelving, you could simply fix a slim piece of batten onto each shelf behind the CDs so they have a stop point and won't end up getting pushed too far back. This is what I did on some home-made bookcases when I converted them for CD storage. Works perfectly.

Ikea used to have a great solution:

14770296460_38d7fc264b_c.jpg

Annoyingly they don’t seem to make them anymore as I’d like a load more as I’ve got piles of CDs stacked all over the place now! Can’t remember what they are called, but I read the whole website trying to find them a few months back without success!

Those top units look like these short and slim Besta units (60x20x38cm). I've got an old IKEA unit called Benno that seems to have been made for CD storage (or DVD storage, depending on how you arrange the adjustable shelves. Sadly IKEA doesn't make them anymore but they're ideal for CDs. Fwiw, the one I've got has a tall and narrow orientation as opposed to the Besta units which are short and wide.

They are all the same depth, the bottom ones are stuck against a skirting board. They are Besta, but I can’t see the specific model anymore. They are double-width to the one you link too at 120x38cm. I guess you could stack the little ones for much the same effect, but it annoyed me they didn’t have the wide ones. I have actually got two of the shorter ones at diagonal ends in order to build quite a solid structure.

Sorry, ripping and streaming really not an option for various reasons, but I don't want to get involved in the useless arguments.

Had Billies in the past for books. Not useful for CDs really, too deep. But Gnedby looks like an option. Or Gnedby-like diy arrangement.

Will also look into Kallax drawer inserts as suggested by @Jamie although it doesn't looks like most rational use of space.
I used to use Billy. Solved the depth problem by attaching a length of wood (2cm x 2cm x 80cm ish) to the shelves to stop the cds getting pushed too far back, and also angled the shelves up so the spines were easier to read.

(but now I have a Qobuz subscription, not sure how it works, but I think out there on the internet somewhere there's a French guy with a huge shelving system and he can get at almost any cd very quickly and play it to my stereo)

I sometimes use old wine boxes. The wooden crates that you can buy 12 bottles of wine in are sometimes available at wine merchants, with or without wine, and they are just the right size for 2 runs of CDs. You need to engineer a central shelf if you are using them vertically. The branding on the ends is rather attractive and they stand on shelves or each other.

advertisement

Back