advertisement

CD storage

Ikea do a really good tall unit that hold 160 (I think) CD's each
I used to have four of them stood together
Can't think of the name

One of my friends has a coffee table with the whole volume underneath being drawers for cd's. I want one but can't remember who made it :rolleyes:

I have the ubiquitous IKEA Kallax 2x2 unit. 3 positions filled with LP's, and a 2 drawer insert in the other hole. Each drawer will take around 50 CD's, but the drawer does not come out far enough to access the row at the rear, so you have to shuffle a bit.

I only keep my most played CD's in it (next to the hifi), the rest of the CD's stored upstairs in a couple of the IKEA narrow tall units mentioned by Fegs above.

I've ripped all of mine and (when I need the space for books) store them in those office supply archive boxes that are just the right size to take two rows of 30+ CDs one on top of the other, each box frees up about 60cm of shelf space. Here in France the right size is the third one up in the range.

I only use the CXU universal player about once a month to play a CD just to make sure it still works for when I have an SACD to rip.

Rip them to a NAS or Hard Disk and then box up, store in loft/garage, frees up a lot of space. If you don’t have a streamer there are lots of reasonably priced ones. When we used CD there were IKEA shelf units - maybe called Billy, mounted them on the wall.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/billy-series-28102/

Sorry, ripping and streaming really not an option for various reasons, but I don't want to get involved in the useless arguments.

Had Billies in the past for books. Not useful for CDs really, too deep. But Gnedby looks like an option. Or Gnedby-like diy arrangement.

Will also look into Kallax drawer inserts as suggested by @Jamie although it doesn't looks like most rational use of space.

I have had 4 of the tall IKEA units for years now.
Still going strong used to be good for dvds and CDs back in the day mostly just CDs and junk now haha.
Do the job if not the last word in style

Gnedby-like, but wider DIY solution seems most likely. Would also use the dead space behind the door and serve as corner acoustic room treatment.

How many mm thick plywood would I need for 50-60 cm of CDs?

Gnedby-like, but wider DIY solution seems most likely. Would also use the dead space behind the door and serve as corner acoustic room treatment.

How many mm thick plywood would I need for 50-60 cm of CDs?
No idea about plywood.
I have no bowing with double-sided veneered MDF in 22mm and/or 8mm glass on my 60cm and80cm shelf units.

(CD storage tends be unstable if just placed on the floor - consider at least one screw into the wall near the top if you go for free-standing ready-mades.)

Ikea do a really good tall unit that hold 160 (I think) CD's each
I used to have four of them stood together
Can't think of the name
They hold 180... I was looking at them earlier, I have around 2000 CDs and storage for around 800.:eek:

Gnedby shelves are mostly adjustable so fine for DVDs and box sets. As well as CDs of course....
They also have clips to help join them together

advertisement

Back