advertisement

CD Prices

abbydog

pfm Member
Are they firming again? I've looked up several recently which have been £8 touch for used copies online. It is easy to get the wrong impression from a narrow personal selection, but silver discs seem to have been rising since the turn of the year.

Admittedly they couldn't go much lower and I'm sure Kylie is still 1p, but...

That's been my impression too. Where I had started to balk at paying more than a fiver, I seem to be back paying nearer £8 these days.

I would agree that they are creeping up slightly at the moment this could be due to lower sales volume but have noticed decent used creeping up as well

Amazon seem to have really put their prices up for CDs. You can still still get good deals from their 3rd party sellers. Zoverstocks are interesting on Amazon - often have the cheapest price and always seem to grade Very Good. Most of the stuff I have ordered from has been Very Good to Mint (although did once have a poor condition disc).

You can still get deals on eBay and Discogs can be pretty good for rare discs of a specific issue. Lately I have picked Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum, Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence and Love and Money's first album - all of which are pricey on Amazon at the moment.

Z-over haven't impressed me. They frequently send the wrong item (3 times now iirc) and they do indeed grade everything "very good" even when it's battered. I avoid them and will pay a bit more to go elsewhere.

Z-over haven't impressed me. They frequently send the wrong item (3 times now iirc) and they do indeed grade everything "very good" even when it's battered. I avoid them and will pay a bit more to go elsewhere.

Not my experience, I have to say. I've bought dozens of CDs through them, never had a quality issue. Occasionally they're well-used, but always described as such. Usually rather better than as described. Not the quickest dispatch, but reliable. On two occasions, item failed to arrive. Refund issued without question immediately.

Only started buying CD's just over five years ago but they do seem to be getting a little more expensive. For a while they were almost giving them away on Amazon.

I frequently go through the 'Replay' CDs at Poundland - all that I've ever bought have been in v.g.c., and some I suspect are brand-new and have been deleted.

^

Oh my...

CD prices are edging up here in the Land of Moose and Maple Syrup, but I thought the crappy Canadian clam was to blame. It's fallen about 15% relative to the U.S. clam over the past few months.

2rnkfw8.jpg

Joe

I've bought a lot of CDs from Zoverstocks over the years, many for just 1p, and just a handful were too scratched to give a clean rip with dbPoweramp. In every such case Zovertsocks told me to the throw the CD away and refunded my money straight away. So you can't really lose.

I have heard it said that they are the selling arm to Music Magpie's buying arm.

Jim.

Also had good results with Zooverstocks some very cheap 1p -20p seemed brand new !
Only problem I had was one not arriving but they issued a full refund without problem

^

Oh my...

CD prices are edging up here in the Land of Moose and Maple Syrup, but I thought the crappy Canadian clam was to blame. It's fallen about 15% relative to the U.S. clam over the past few months.

2rnkfw8.jpg

Joe

Why do you have to remind me of that Joe. I was having a nice reading up to now... :mad:

Also had good results with Zooverstocks some very cheap 1p -20p seemed brand new !
Only problem I had was one not arriving but they issued a full refund without problem

last cd I bought from zoverstocks had a bit of dinner on the case and it was scratched . won`t buy again from them unless new

last cd I bought from zoverstocks had a bit of dinner on the case and it was scratched . won`t buy again from them unless new

My experience of Zoverstocks is not good either. Admittedly I've only bought 5 in total from them but every single one was in worse condition than described. The worst looked like it had been rescued from a skip and yet was described as 'very good'. I avoid them now.

I'm not sure but didn't the government close a loophole that allowed Amazon to avoid VAT by shipping single CD's from Jersey ? The prices have definitely risen from an average of around £5 - 6 to nearer £7 - 8 now ..

I don't think Amazon want to sell discs any more - I assumed their current prices were just about making their mp3 downloads look cosmetically more attractive.

My real interest is that sellers on Amazon, even the likes of Zoverstocks, are stiffening their prices - and with their operation, a rise from 1p to 2p must equal a significant increase in revenue (-:

I'm also taking in sellers on the likes of Discogs, where the £50 CD seems to be suddenly fashionable...

advertisement

Back