advertisement

cd player vs Garrard 401

FWIW, I endedup prefereing my CDX/XPS to the Bastin'd 401, with NA Spacearm Grado Gold Naim Stageline. I prefer my Technics SL1210 with KAB PS1200 powersupply to the 401, the 401 is retired for the moment, I'll bring it out again in 6 months or so. I loved what a Hiline brought to the CDX/XPS, but find streamed audio from a iTunes/macmini/airport express/beresford TC7510 mk6.3 so close to the CDX/XPS as to make me ask "why have an expensive CD player ?".

cheers

I have a cyrus cd8 x with psxr into a dac x with psxr total cost about 3 k and with a good record my 401 plays music a class above.Ive never heard any cd player i thought sounded better tbh.

From the Loricraft website FAQ:

Is the SME 3009 as good as a modern pick-up arm?

Bearing in mind that many of you own these arms it seems reasonable to use them. With a good cartridge and deck they can put a top grade CD player to shame. If however, they need updating and repair work this needs to be weighed in the balance against the cost of the modern pick-up arm, be it from REGA or SME themselves. As we said to someone recently, it would not be correct to say the RB300 sounded no better than the SME. After consideration, he replied the SME pleased him better. Many of you have found the ideal answer in the SME series 4 and 5 albeit at a price. The best of all worlds is the most recent SME 12 inch arm but remember they need a larger plinth.

To us the 3009 is best with the 401. An early 301 can sound very dull with the 3009. The 301 circa 1957, RB300 Goldring Excel cartridge in our plinth with a PSU2 is the high end hi-fi bargain of all time

So it would seem Loricraft rate a 3009 with a 401, but not a 301. I wonder why the results are so different?

Stuart

Sme 3009 with 401 , emt and Ear sounds great i dont want to change this combo.
I can listen for hours with great plesure, i owned before Roksan xerxes,artemiz, shiraz,
artraxerexes, Michel orbe rega300incog. dynavector xx2, Roxan xerxes 20 with Naim aro,dynavector xx2. None of this decks give me this plesure. Friend of my have Garrard 401(slate plinth), rega 900, shure v15 mk2 and i preferd my.
Anyway i was just wondering are they cd players out there sounding this musical.
I guess not.

with kind regards,
Ivo

Ivo

Yes Terry does have a 401 at home, I have seen it a few times. If Terry was serious about getting the best sound he would have a 501 with all the gizmos.

I suggest you have a word with Terry because you obviously do not believe me. Ask him how a RB300 and a 3009 compare.

I live in Swindon and know several people who worked at Garrards and they all to a man dismiss the 3009.

If you are anywhere near Swindon, you are welcome to have a listen to mine.

Regards

Mick

I would love to, first time i go to England i let you know.
Kind regards,
Ivo

Interesting....I use a Marantz CD94 and also a Garrard 301 (with Cardas-wired Alphason HR100S and Audio Technica AT-OC9MLII) and I have to say that, good as the CD player is, the Garrard is streets ahead.

I would also agree with other posters that the CD555 is the best CD player I have heard, but last time i heard it, it was followed by an Avid Volvere/ARO/Dynavector turntable through a Superline phono stage. Guess which one was better? ;)

As to the SME, it's a lovely, lovely thing and a feat of engineering brilliance. However, in pure sound quality terms, you can do much better IMHO.

advertisement

Back