advertisement

CD Player under £1000

I know you wanted a one box solution but you seem very happy with your present dac. A small but good dedicated transport is the Project RS Box (don't laugh) and it would be worth trying this. You could also dem the RS dac which I understand has special connect and is supposed to improve the sound.

Also dont audiolab do a nice small cd transport for £400 that is supposed to go with the MDAC ( I know yours smashes that ) Dont know if will go with other non audiolab bits

Thank you for all the replys guys. I really like the idea of a Dac with pre amp built in, that sounds like a good idea.

I currently Have a Magnum MF300 Power amp and Nakamichi CA5eII so matching the Magnum is an issue in my eyes.

I dont really want to go down the MDAC route again as I compared it to the EE and it wasnt even close, it maybe better paired with somthing else though.

The Beresford looks very tempting but seem like to much of a bargin, how can you get the battery version? I cant seem to find it.

I wont be looking at the Arcam stuff its doesnt seem to be up there anymore(in my opinion).

Ash, if it were me and wish to stick with CD reply I would look out for a used Meridian CD transport these things are built to last and a Chord Hugo Dac maybe used. Ok more then you wanted to spend but you did mention selling some of your existing source to add to the grand.

Provided you buy a reasonably specified CDP with proper power supplies, low jitter design etc. I think they all pretty much of a muchness. I will start twittering about foo next :) I run a Pioneer PD-S904 and it is over 10 years old, and my good turntable only just beats it.

Nic P

The Beresford looks very tempting but seem like to much of a bargin, how can you get the battery version? I cant seem to find it.

That's because it IS a big bargain! I have owned a CD3.5, CD5, CDI, CD2, CDX and CDX2. Don't miss 'm at all.

Take a search on theartofsound.net for Ankaka battery-pack. You can't buy one via Beresford.

If you want to buy a second hand CD player that will hold it's value, surely a Naim CD5 and variants is a good bet?

Cyrus CD8SE with smiley face,updated version and add PSX-R. Second hand should fit under your £1k budget. I think it is an underrated player. They had some problems with early versions not reading disks but that was sorted very quickly. They are neat and tidy players and well built imho. Serviceable in the uk also.

If you want to buy a second hand CD player that will hold it's value, surely a Naim CD5 and variants is a good bet?

I actually bought one but the guy sent it in the post and it got smashed in transit! I was not happy, still waiting for refund.

Cyrus CD8SE with smiley face,updated version and add PSX-R. Second hand should fit under your £1k budget. I think it is an underrated player. They had some problems with early versions not reading disks but that was sorted very quickly. They are neat and tidy players and well built imho. Serviceable in the uk also.

Yeah I have had a couple of Cyrus units before, If the Sony fails to please me then I may try one of them. I was looking at the CDI.

CDI is a wonderful player but please bare in mind they are 25 years old, also if you do find a minter go and collect it don't use a courier.

I have been looking at the Copland's but I need to test the Sony out first before I make any other purchases.

Thanks

advertisement

Back