advertisement

CD Player/Transports etc?

An update...i had not seen anything negative written about the Marantz, so was at a bit of loss why it sounds so thin, well blow me over with a feather if the sound hasn't become fuller and much more refined, the top end has lost it's thinness, it's still a bit grey and controlled compared to the outboard Dac via it outputs, but at least now it's listenable.

Well maybe I did not give mins enough time I found it thin and lifeless was very disappointed tbh. Went back to my old Rega Apollo then that went in favour of a well worked rotel RCD 955. Still have a naim CD3 as well that I find a wonderful trasnsport

Well maybe I did not give mins enough time I found it thin and lifeless was very disappointed tbh. Went back to my old Rega Apollo then that went in favour of a well worked rotel RCD 955. Still have a naim CD3 as well that I find a wonderful trasnsport

No you are right in your impression of it, the sound filled out a bit, but the Marantz, but from it's analog outs is pretty uninspiring and lacks any heft, or interest in playing the music, I'm not really sure why it it's so well regarded tbh, i'll try it in my other system against the DPA and MDAC to see how it fairs.
The Dac i use in my main system has the same chip(s) as the CD3 and it sounds alive (it's 25 years old!), it has more accurate timbre and just sounds more natural compared to the CD player on it's own, suits this system better than all the other Dacs i have.
Fortunately the Marantz works OK as a Transport, the Marantz has a USB IPOD input (i have a couple of old IPOD classics) and it's what swung it for me, using my Mac as the transport with a USB to coaxial converter, the computer as a transport sounds more relaxed on the same music.

There’s a new Cyrus XR transport due any day so you might want to wait and either get the new one or a deal on the XT. Even though the XR range is positioned above the Signature it’s bound to impact on their sales, I’d be surprised if dealers didn’t knock the Sig price down to clear stock.

Where are you? There are quite a few dealers around including Richer Sounds. I counted about 2 dozen in London, there are still several around in Scotland.

I did not know about a new Cyrus XR Transport, I take it that is the new flagship model for Cyrus, thanks for the heads up.
Is there a big difference between the XR and XT Signature??
I am based in Ireland, I did a quick search last night and there are no dealers left here or in NI from the map , I am wary regarding servicing / warranty when Brexit hits and what complications that brings .

Yes XR range is positioned above Signature, pricing is mooted at £2-5K per unit, supposed to be 2xInts, 1xCD, 1xCDT, 1xDAC-Pre and 1xPSU due about now, then 2xPowers and a Streamer later.

Lyric and Richer in Belfast show up as dealers, dunno how long a journey that would be for you.

Lyric and Richer do appear to stock Cyrus but not the XT Signature, journey is long but the shadow of BREXIT looms as I am down south in the republic.
Cloney audio in Dublin used to support Cyrus but no longer listed on their website or on the Cyrus map of dealers which has dwindled a lot from my days on cyrus unofficial.

This was the best transport I came across:

IMG_1192t.jpg

http://www.acousticplan.de/Image-Hifi_Vadi_english.pdf

For my second system (small man-cave I reluctantly use when I’m told!) I use a Musical Fidelity M1CDT into an Arcam irDAC. For that room it sounds good, full bodied with great mids. Don’t seem to hear much about this transport much.

Yes XR range is positioned above Signature, pricing is mooted at £2-5K per unit, supposed to be 2xInts, 1xCD, 1xCDT, 1xDAC-Pre and 1xPSU due about now, then 2xPowers and a Streamer later.

Lyric and Richer in Belfast show up as dealers, dunno how long a journey that would be for you.

At that price level I’d be looking at the Moon 260. Decent well established transport with 10 year warranty on the fixed parts + 3 years on the rest.

At that price level I’d be looking at the Moon 260. Decent well established transport with 10 year warranty on the fixed parts + 3 years on the rest.
Maybe if you're buying from scratch, if you've a Cyrus half width system already the XR maybe makes more sense. Don't spin CD much anymore so not looked/demo'd anything like that for a long time, use an Oppo or USB drive into an Auralic DAC.

Did demo Moon in Edinbugh when the MIND came out but it wasn't for me.

My understanding is that it's jitter at the receiving DAC end that really matters.

Personally, I'd just buy a serviced vintage CD player with a digital output that has really high quality and mega durable laser mech. Preferably a Philips CDM1 laser mech (or a Sony BU-1 laser mech as a close second).

Surely that's job done unless you're interested in adding bling.

Side note: CD players are not record players and they need to be able to accelerate and decelerate the disc quickly. CD players with heavy flywheels are a nonsense.

For my second system (small man-cave I reluctantly use when I’m told!) I use a Musical Fidelity M1CDT into an Arcam irDAC. For that room it sounds good, full bodied with great mids. Don’t seem to hear much about this transport much.

I have the same transport in my living room system, although in that case with the matching Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. The combination sounds pretty decent to me.

Another happy Audiolab CDT6000 owner here. Mine feeds a BorderPatrol DAC SE. The sound is pleasantly Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy.

advertisement

Back