advertisement

Cd player sound: Denon v rega

Neil P

pfm Member
I hope to soon demo a denon dcd2500 SACD player versus a rega Saturn r. I'm going to rip 2 CDs of demo tunes and have the players running simultaneously so I can switch between them. I only have 10 SACDs, the rest of my modest collection is CDs, so the Denon will need to impress with Redbook.

Any hints or tips on what the Denon sound is? I'm already familiar with the rega and would describe it as musical and analogue.

I am told the dcd 1600 is very quiet running and ponty loves his . The 2500 must be quite a beast . Look forward to your thoughts

I am told the dcd 1600 is very quiet running and ponty loves his . The 2500 must be quite a beast . Look forward to your thoughts

Do you mean silent in terms of inky black in quiet pieces of music, or the disc spinning is quiet?

yes the mechanism is quiet . i cant stand noisy mechanisms and simon g has gradually tried lots of cd players and always mentions any that are noisy . I have a lovely onkyo sacd that has a very slight drive noise and of course some sacd players do have increased drive noise

Both my marantz are deathly quiet and thats what i like but there is a massive chasm between the humble 6007 and the next model is 2500 pounds more !!!

denon have far more models inbetween such as the 1600 but never tried any denon yet

I have the 1500ae and find the sound to be quite a refined sound. It’s smooth and quite dynamic. I imagine the 2500 to be incredible.

I used a DCD-1450AR as a CD transport for a while. As a player it sounded somewhat "lifeless" and the bass seemed to lack extension.

Built quality was really good for the price.

yes the mechanism is quiet . i cant stand noisy mechanisms and simon g has gradually tried lots of cd players and always mentions any that are noisy . I have a lovely onkyo sacd that has a very slight drive noise and of course some sacd players do have increased drive noise

Both my marantz are deathly quiet and thats what i like but there is a massive chasm between the humble 6007 and the next model is 2500 pounds more !!!

denon have far more models inbetween such as the 1600 but never tried any denon yet

Wow I've never considered CD transports being anything but silent ... does this mean I have bad hearing? Or I play music too loud??

I heard a yamaha sacd player once at a demo , the whirr from the drive was so loud i could barely concentrate on the music. there are definately some you can hear

funny thing , i contacted the seller of a denon 1600 about drive noise , he said there was a little . the new owner said it was as quiet as a mouse so we are all different !

I hope to soon demo a denon dcd2500 SACD player versus a rega Saturn r. I'm going to rip 2 CDs of demo tunes and have the players running simultaneously so I can switch between them. I only have 10 SACDs, the rest of my modest collection is CDs, so the Denon will need to impress with Redbook.

Any hints or tips on what the Denon sound is? I'm already familiar with the rega and would describe it as musical and analogue.

Being a little OCD I’d buy (or borrow) a couple of duplicate original CDs for such a test.

Being a little OCD I’d buy (or borrow) a couple of duplicate original CDs for such a test.

Is that because the CDRs could not match the original CD? Or be different to each other? I might just buy 2 new CDs and flog one after.

I heard a yamaha sacd player once at a demo , the whirr from the drive was so loud i could barely concentrate on the music. there are definately some you can hear

funny thing , i contacted the seller of a denon 1600 about drive noise , he said there was a little . the new owner said it was as quiet as a mouse so we are all different !

well I never! Are SACD players more prone to this transport noise? And does it apply when they're playing CDs?

advertisement

Back