advertisement

CD player. Keep and repair or renew?

I'd say do a little research and see how much you can buy a spare laser mech for. Then put that somewhere safe so you'll have it when you need it and can just hand it to someone to do the swap. It seems like a player that's worth holding on to.

I did that for my audiolab 8200cdq

15year old Naim CD5X here in almost daily use, never had an issue with it. I guess if it’s well made it may surprise how long it lasts same for other well made CD players.

The Daughter gave me her old ‘first’ c.d. player yesterday, see if I could test it. (it has been in her loft for years)

An Eclipse CD101-II, which I think I got from Richer Sounds a long time ago.

Lid off, still had a Kate Bush c.d. in it :) The Sensual World.
Cotton bud/IPA the lens, vacuum the innards, jobs a good ‘un. Listening to it now. No remote control, which isn’t the end of the world. Playing a CD-r with no problems. Sounds like a c.d. player. It will be okay for The Daughters daughter. Daughter also reckons she has some Roland speakers (?) but ain’t seen them yet.

I presume it is worth nowt as it was a basic machine, it will be interesting to see if iPad girl will take to playing c.d’s?

Whatever, The Daughter will keep it as a spare.

The main thing is that it works, because this would be going in the bin otherwise.
;)

The Daughter gave me her old ‘first’ c.d. player yesterday, see if I could test it. (it has been in her loft for years)

An Eclipse CD101-II, which I think I got from Richer Sounds a long time ago.

Lid off, still had a Kate Bush c.d. in it :) The Sensual World.
Cotton bud/IPA the lens, vacuum the innards, jobs a good ‘un. Listening to it now. No remote control, which isn’t the end of the world. Playing a CD-r with no problems. Sounds like a c.d. player. It will be okay for The Daughters daughter. Daughter also reckons she has some Roland speakers (?) but ain’t seen them yet.

I presume it is worth nowt as it was a basic machine, it will be interesting to see if iPad girl will take to playing c.d’s?

Whatever, The Daughter will keep it as a spare.

The main thing is that it works, because this would be going in the bin otherwise.
;)
That was my first CD player in about 1995, albeit mine was badged as a Genexxa CD100. I sold it to parents neighbour when I bought a Sony system in 1997, I found out the other day he’s still using it!

I’ve inadvertently become a CD player hoarder, in my current collection I have a Linn Ikemi, Linn Mimik (along with a Numerik), Yamaha CDX-810, Rotel RCD-965BX, Rotel RCD-951, Nad Silverline S500, Meridian 507 and a Naim CD5i... I keep thinking of picking up an Eclipse/Genexxa CD player like the one both myself and Mike started out with, just to compare with the players that take pride of place in my systems right now, but I ought to thin the collection a little really.

I’ve inadvertently become a CD player hoarder, in my current collection I have a Linn Ikemi, Linn Mimik (along with a Numerik), Yamaha CDX-810, Rotel RCD-965BX, Rotel RCD-951, Nad Silverline S500, Meridian 507 and a Naim CD5i... I keep thinking of picking up an Eclipse/Genexxa CD player like the one both myself and Mike started out with, just to compare with the players that take pride of place in my systems right now, but I ought to thin the collection a little really.

Amateur, LOL :)

Amateur, LOL :)
Haha, I’d have a lot more if I kept every one I’d ever bought... I’ve fallen in love with CD again and all those in the list sound somewhere between pretty good and absolutely superb, I don’t know which to sell. The Naim is the latest addition and is partnered with a Nait 5i and Royd Sapphires, I really like that setup, so that’ll stay.

I’m now listening to my mighty fine Philips CD104. What a machine.

It’s 50cm from my head and it operates completely silent and the music sounds sweet.

AT LAST!

Someone with more CD players than me :p

thankfully I thinned my collection down a bit to the trusty Rotel 955(with a few tweaks from S-Man of this parish) Naim CD3 ( getting brought back to life by Martin) Sony 337ESD (in a cupboard waiting until I can get it serviced)
just need to thin the speakers out a bit as well haha doing better with the amps only a single integrated now( lets not mention half built power amps)

AT LAST!

Someone with more CD players than me :p
Of course the Rotel RCD-951 came from you... considering it was Rotel’s entry level model player from the late 90s/early 00s, I’m really impressed with it, it doesn’t sound like an entry level CD player!

Of course the Rotel RCD-951 came from you... considering it was Rotel’s entry level model player from the late 90s/early 00s, I’m really impressed with it, it doesn’t sound like an entry level CD player!

Agreed. I auditioned this against a Cyrus and Audiolab at the time, purely by accident as the others were much pricier. It was already setup in the audition room for a previous customer. The Rotel was much more musical and had great PRAT.

The others sounded less fun but I also felt the Rotel was better built.

Just got my 965bx to clear. Now that's a machine :D

I got rid of a TEAC 'Reference' drive which was bigger and heavier than most AV amps..and reverted to my 1993 vintage 965BX. It is as good a CDP as any I have heard and still works flawlessly.

advertisement

Back